Ahmedabad, May 13 (PTI) Heatwave conditions continued to sweep several parts of Gujarat with Ahmedabad city today recording the highest maximum temperature of the season at 44.6 degrees Celsius.”Heat wave conditions prevailed in most parts of Gujarat as weather remained dry during the day with most cities, except those in the coastal region, recording maximum temperatures in the range of 40 to 44 degrees Celsius,” the daily weather bulletin released by Meteorological Centre in the city said.The Met Centre has also predicted rise in mercury levels in the days to come.”Ahmedabad city today recorded its highest temperature of the season with 44.6 degrees Celsius, which is almost one degree more than yesterday. Other cities also reeled under scorching heat as mercury levels either remained as they were yesterday or slightly increased,” Assistant Director of Met Centre Manorama Mohanty said.Kandka Airport in Kutch region was at the second place with 44.4 degrees Celsius, followed by Surendranagar (44.3), Gandhinagar (44), Amreli (44), Rajkot (44), Vadodara (43.2) and Bhuj (42). Todays readings showed a rise of one to two degrees from yesterday.The Met officials said there would be no respite from the heat wave in days to come.”As per our forecast, there will be no change in the heat wave situation during the next two days. The mercury in the city may touch 45 degrees Celsius on Sunday. We may see slight decrease in the maximum temperature only after Sunday,” Mohanty added. PTI PJT PD NP KIS
Liverpool boss Klopp confident after Bayern Munich drawby Ansser Sadiq10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool manager Jurgen Klopp knows his side face a tough two games against Bayern Munich in the Champions League.The Reds were drawn against the German champions in the Round of 16.”For me it’s nice going to Germany. This is a different Bayern than what I played, we are already here for three years,” Klopp told Liverpoolfc.com.”We all know the stadium, the atmosphere will be great. It’s a really nice trip for all our supporters, it’s a wonderful city, so that’s all good.”The flight is not too long and we obviously know more about German football than about any other league.”In the last couple of years they have dominated the German league in the best period of German football. It’s obviously long ago that I played Bayern in a competitive game so I’m really looking forward to it.” About the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say
Ex-Ajax star Van Halst: Newcastle goalscorer Willems charming, frustratingby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Ajax and FC Twente star Jan van Halst has told Newcastle United boss Steve Bruce to take the good with the bad when it comes to Jetro Willems.Willems joined Newcastle United on-loan from Eintracht Frankfurt last month, though made his name in the Eredivisie with PSV Eindhoven, where he spent six years and won his first caps with Holland.And on Saturday, Willems scored the opener on Saturday in the Toon’s 3-1 defeat at Liverpool. The goal was spectacular, but wasn’t enough as the Reds eventually steamrolled the visitors.Reviewing the action, Van Halst was delighted for Willems – though warned the Dutchman will always be occasionally loose defensively.Van Halst said on Ziggo Sport via Voetbalzone: “He makes it difficult for a football analyst. Before the game we say that he should play a little more carefully as a left back. It is of course the charm of Willems.”The good thing is too: if he does this for PSV in a home match against RKC, then you say: ‘This is of course not possible in the Premier League’. But it is foolish: he just does it. Charming. A great goal.”Indeed, Van Halst says that’s the ‘charm’ of Willems, who is capable of producing a moment of unexpected magic.He added: “He is playful. It makes you crazy as a football analyst. Of course you have to use him with his speed.”Defensively he just has his vulnerabilities. You have to take this for granted a bit. This is that playfulness of Jetro Willems. He will never get it out completely, because he is already 25.”Willems moved to Newcastle at the beginning of August. The defender has joined the Magpies on a season-long loan with the option to buy.- updated September 16 About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Jones expecting imminent decision on Stoke futureby Freddie Taylor24 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveNathan Jones expects Stoke City to clarify his position imminently.The club have two points from nine games and los 3-2 to Nottingham Forest on Friday night.Jones has been at the club since January but has been unable to turn around their fortunes.He said to reporters about his position: “If results don’t improve, I fully expect a decision to be made on my future. I fully expect it and I have no argument about it, absolutely not.”If I’m honest, if this wasn’t such the club that it was, and has the owners it has, I would’ve been gone a while ago because my results haven’t been good enough and I know that.”I’m under no illusions, just as I knew in my previous job I was not untouchable, but, I was in a very secure position because my win rate was 55 per cent and we’d been promoted and we’d changed everything about it.”We’ve changed a lot here but we haven’t got results and that’s the be-all and end-all. So trust me, I fully expect if I don’t get results in the next few games that a decision will be made on my future.”
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Fort St. John Chamber of Commerce held a special Speaker Series Luncheon on Friday, May 3 at the Northern Grand Hotel.Guest Speakers included local M.P. Bob Zimmer and the Honourable Peter Kent, M.P. for Thornhill, Ontario.With the Federal Election coming up in the fall, Zimmer and Kent discussed current Canadian political affairs and what it could mean for the future of Canadians. Kent is concerned for Canada’s future as the current Liberal Government has not had a balanced budget since being in power and that it will not be balanced until 2040 if they do not apply responsible fiscal management.“We haven’t had a balanced budget since 2015 and we’ve had three successive huge deficits of $20 billion a year, without as much to show for it, and I worry about my kids and grandkids and the fact that we’re told by the Parliamentary Budget Officer the budget won’t be balanced until, at least, 2040 if things keep going as they are.”Zimmer touched on the SNC-Lavilan affair and shared his thoughts on the future of Jody Wilson-Raybould and Jane Philpot.“We don’t know where they’re really going to go and I don’t think they’re sure either because even Jody’s seat when they got in, they just got in even in the perfect circumstance of having a red surge coming up. So now they’re in a different situation because she’s said she is a dedicated Liberal, she was kicked out of caucus, so she would now have to run as an independent, and the chances of winning as an independent in that riding would be tough. Now it is possible, with her high profile, that it could happen but it’s going to be tough for her.”Along with the SNC-Lavilan affair, Zimmer also talked about protecting the resource sector and the importance of protecting citizens in this digital age.The next Chamber Speaker Series Luncheon will be on May 22, at the Northern Grand Hotel, with guest speakers Andrew Wilkinson and MLA Dan Davies. For more information, and to register, you can visit the Chamber of Commerce’s website.
New Delhi: Saudi Oil Minister Khalid al-Falih is making his second visit to India in less than three weeks to attend the wedding of richest Indian Mukesh Ambani’s son Akash. Akash Ambani is tying the knot with Shloka Mehta, daughter of diamantaire Russell Mehta and Mona Mehta at a grand ceremony in Mumbai on Saturday. Sources privy to the development said the Saudi oil minister will visit Mumbai for the wedding and will also make a brief stopover in the national capital to have a conversation with Oil Minister Dharmendra Pradhan and other industry leaders. Also Read – Maruti cuts production for 8th straight month in SepAl-Falih, who has known Ambani for over a decade now, had previously travelled to Udaipur in December last year to attend the pre-wedding festivities of Ambani’s daughter Isha’s marriage with industrialist Ajay Piramal’s son Anand. Akash and Isha’s wedding will take place at the newly built Jio World Centre in Bandra Kurla Complex in Mumbai. The wedding festivities kickstarted on February 23 with a grand bash in St. Moritz, Switzerland. The couple got engaged in June 2018 and celebrated the occasion with a string of lavish parties in Mumbai. Also Read – Ensure strict implementation on ban of import of e-cigarettes: revenue to CustomsAl-Falih last visited India on February 20 as part of the high-level delegation that travelled with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for a bilateral visit. When he last visited the Ambanis in December 2018, the Saudi oil minister had tweeted that the world’s largest oil exporter Saudi Arabia and Ambani-run Reliance Industries are discussing joint investments in petrochemicals, refinery and communications projects. At the time of the February 20 visit, Saudi Aramco CEO Amin Al-Nasser had spoken about talks with Reliance for investments in refinery and petrochemical projects. Reliance operates two refineries at Jamnagar with a total capacity of 68.2 million tonnes per annum. Reliance plans to expand its only-for-exports SEZ refining capacity to just over 41 million tonnes from the current 35.2 million tonnes but does not have any plans to set up a new refinery in the country. It is presently focused on expanding petrochemicals and telecom business, industry sources said. Crude oil is the basic raw material for the manufacturing of petrochemicals. Saudi Arabia, on the other hand, is keen to get a foothold in the world’s fastest-growing fuel market so as to get a captive customer for the crude oil it produces. Saudi Aramco, the world’s biggest oil company, and its partner Abu Dhabi National Oil Co (ADNOC) have picked up 50 per cent stake in a planned USD 44-billion refinery in Maharashtra but the project is facing problems in land acquisition. Aramco and ADNOC will together hold 50 per cent stake in the 60 million tonnes per annum (MTPA) refinery and adjacent 18 MTPA petrochemical complex planned to be built at Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra by 2025. The two will supply half of the crude oil required for processing at the refinery. Like other major producers, the two are looking to lock in customers in the world’s third-largest oil consumer through the investment. Kuwait too is looking to invest in projects in return for getting an assured offtake of their crude oil. Saudi Aramco is also keen on retailing fuel in India. A refinery in India can also be a base for it to export fuel to deficit countries in Europe and the Americas. India has a refining capacity of 247.6 million tonnes, which exceeds the demand of 206.2 million tonnes. According to the International Energy Agency (IEA), this demand is expected to reach 458 million tonnes by 2040.
Jammu: Seven Pakistani posts across the LoC were destroyed as the Indian Army retaliated to cross border shelling by Pakistani troops who targeted border areas in Rajouri and Poonch districts, officials said Tuesday.There have been several casualties to Pakistani troops too, they said. As a precautionary measure, all schools along the borderline in Poonch and Rajouri districts have been closed by authorities in view of the Pakistani shelling. On Monday, a BSF inspector and a five-year-old girl were among three persons killed while 24 others were injured as Pakistani troops heavily shelled forward areas along the Line of Control in Poonch district, prompting the Indian Army to retaliate “befittingly”, said officials.
Colombo: Sri Lanka on Thursday suspended its plans to grant visas on arrival to citizens of 39 countries after the devastating Easter suicide bombings that killed nearly 360 people. “Although arrangements were in place to issue visas on arrival for citizens of 39 countries, we have now decided to hold it for the time being in consideration of the current security situation,” Tourism Minister John Amaratunga said in a statement. “Investigations have revealed foreign links to the attacks and we don’t want this facility to be abused,” Amaratunga added. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USThe visas on arrival pilot programme was part of a larger initiative to increase tourist arrivals to the country during the six month off-season period from May to October. The island nation received 7,40,600 foreign tourists in the first three months of 2019. Around 450,000 Indians visited Sri Lanka last year and the island nation was expecting the total Indian tourist arrivals to cross one million mark in 2019. Sri Lanka’s tourism industry, which accounts for around five per cent of the country’s GDP, is likely to suffer due to the Easter blasts. Tourism revenues in Lanka increased to USD 362.7 million in November from USD 284 million in October 2018, according to reports. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential pollsMeanwhile, the Lankan authorities Thursday intensified their raids with the help of the army and arrested 16 more suspects in connection with the country’s worst terror attack that killed 359 people and left over 500 injured. President Maithripala Sirisena has said that 139 people have been identified as suspects in connection with the attacks. Addressing an all-party conference at the Presidential Secretariat here, Sirisena said that a Combine Operation Centre will be established within the defence ministry for the enforcement of the country’s security measures from Friday.
Imagine a tennis world in which Rafael Nadal never picked up a racket. Some of his rivals must have. Novak Djokovic could be excused for daydreaming about it after Nadal beat him in Sunday’s French Open final, 3-6, 7-5, 6-2, 6-4.Who would benefit most in a hypothetical world without Nadal? Well, let’s divvy up Nadal’s 14 Grand Slam titles. Although he might never reach Roger Federer’s record of 17 major titles, Nadal already leads Federer and all other Open-era greats in the ranking of biggest obstacle to a single Grand Slam title.To quantify this, I give you the “title block.” A title block isn’t an official tennis stat — I made it up. Here’s how it works: If Nadal beat a player in a final, I figure that given the next best possible opponent, the man who lost to Nadal would, on average, have a 50 percent chance of winning. So that win counts as half a title block. (This may undersell some blocked players’ chances of winning, but because this is hypothetical, treating unplayed matchups as coin flips is safest.) Similarly, a semifinal win cost the loser a quarter of a Grand Slam title and so on. Then I summed the title blocks for each Grand Slam tournament. I used data from Tennis Abstract, adding data from the just-completed French Open from rolandgarros.com. I ignored walkovers but included mid-match retirements.No matter how many times Nadal bites trophies, they don’t get broken up into pieces. But because this is a what-if exercise, these hypothetical titles come in fractions. If Nadal beats a player enough times, those fractional titles can start adding up. Nadal’s four wins in French Open finals over Federer, plus one semifinal ousting, count for two and one-quarter titles that Nadal has deprived Federer. Meanwhile, by beating Djokovic in two French Open finals, three semifinals and a quarterfinal, Nadal has cost him one and seven-eighths French Open titles.In a non-Nadal world, Djokovic would have one more U.S. Open crown in addition to those one or two French Opens. Federer would have another Australian Open title, along with those two or three additional French Open titles. And David Ferrer would no longer be in the running for best player never to win a major, because he’d have lifted a French Open trophy.We can expand this to other tennis greats. Let’s skim the cream off the top of the tennis world one great player at a time: Let’s get rid of each of the 12 men who have won at least six Grand Slam singles titles since the Open era of pro tennis began in 1968, one by one. We’ll add an unlucky No. 13 in Murray, who has had the misfortune to compete in an era dominated by three of those 12 men: Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.Nadal’s dominance of Federer and Djokovic rank first and second, respectively, among title blocks at the four Grand Slam tournaments, ahead of other famous blocks like Federer’s of Andy Roddick at Wimbledon, Pete Sampras’s of Andre Agassi at the U.S. Open and Bjorn Borg of Jimmy Connors at Wimbledon. Nadal’s defeats of Ferrer at the French Open the Top 10: By costing Ferrer one title, Nadal also takes the 10th spot on the list.Overall, Nadal has blocked Federer from three and three-quarters major titles; Federer would have 21 without Nadal. That’s No. 1 on the title-blocks list overall, and Nadal’s blockage of Djokovic from almost four major titles is No. 2 on the overall list.Don’t pity Federer too much, though: He did win the French Open in 2009, the one year in the past decade that Nadal didn’t. Djokovic still hasn’t won the clay-court major. Murray, meanwhile, would have more than triple his current total of two Grand Slam titles if not for Federer, Nadal and Djokovic, who each have cost him more than one.Nadal has had the better of all of his rivals, but he, too, could have won more majors without Federer, Djokovic, et al. By beating Nadal in two Wimbledon finals, Federer has cost Nadal a third Wimbledon title to go with the two Nadal has won. Djokovic, meanwhile, beat Nadal in the finals of three consecutive Grand Slam tournaments over 2011 and 2012, which cost Nadal one and a half major titles.
Houston Texans running back Arian Foster is fighting for college athletes’ rights. The pro player says he isn’t scared of the NCAA, and hopes that his admission that he was paid while playing in college at Tennessee will help change rules about paying college athletes.“I just feel strong about the injustice that the NCAA has been doing for years,” Foster said Friday. “That’s why I said what I said. I’m not trying to throw anybody under the bus. … I feel like I shouldn’t have to run from the NCAA anymore. They’re like these big bullies. I’m not scared of them.”In an interview posted on SI.com for a documentary called “Schooled: The Price of College Sports,” Foster said he took extra money so he could pay his rent and food while playing at Tennessee.“I don’t know if this will throw us into an NCAA investigation — my senior year (2008), I was getting money on the side,” Foster said in the video. “I really didn’t have any money. I had to either pay the rent or buy some food. I remember the feeling of like, ‘Man, be careful.’ But there’s nothing wrong with it. And you’re not going to convince me that there is something wrong with it.”Foster described a time when he had to beg his coach for a meal.“Either you give us some food or I’m gonna go do something stupid,” Foster told his coach. The coach bought him and three others 50 tacos, Foster recalled, laughing.Foster played at the University of Tennessee under former coach Phil Fulmer from 2005-08.