Tiger Woods to return in the Bahamas

first_imgJo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ FILE – In this Friday, Jan. 27, 2017 file photo, Tiger Woods watches his tee shot on the ninth hole of the North Course during the second round of the Farmers Insurance Open golf tournament at Torrey Pines Golf Course in San Diego. Tiger Woods is returning to competition at his holiday tournament in the Bahamas the week after Thanksgiving, Thursday, Nov. 23, 2017. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull, File)Play it again, Tiger Woods.For the second straight year, Woods will return from back surgery at his holiday tournament in the Bahamas the week after Thanksgiving.ADVERTISEMENT Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? N”I am excited to return to competitive golf at the Hero World Challenge,” Woods said in a story on his website. “Albany is the perfect setting and it will be great to join this outstanding field.”The tournament has no cut.A year ago, Woods returned after 15 months recovering from two back surgeries. He made 24 birdies, but finished 15th out of 18 players. The tournament is not official on any tour, although it does award world ranking points.He made his first PGA Tour start at Torrey Pines and missed the cut, and then went to Dubai and didn’t make it past the first round before his back began acting up.Woods made the announcement just three days after he pleaded guilty to reckless driving in a deal that allows him to avoid jail time if he doesn’t violate terms of his probation.The deal stems from a Memorial Day arrest on a DUI charge when Woods was found asleep at the wheel of his car, which was still running and parked at an awkward angle about 15 minutes from his home in Florida.Woods attributed it to a bad combination of prescription medicine.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Woods has not played since he withdrew from the Dubai Desert Classic on Feb. 3 with back spasms. Two months later, he had his fourth back surgery in just over two years.Woods will be part of the 18-man field at the Hero World Challenge, which starts Nov. 30 at Albany Golf Club. While sponsor exemptions are limited to the top 50 in the world, Woods is exempt as the tournament host.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smogHis latest procedure was a fusion surgery — the previous three were microdiscectomy surgeries — and Woods reported instant relief. He also said just one month ago at the Presidents Cup that he had no idea what his future held.Doctors gave him clearance to practice without limitations about a week later, and Woods had been posting video on Twitter of a full swing with an iron, a driver and then his signature stinger shot with the driver. According to a toxicology report, Woods had the active ingredient for marijuana, two painkillers, the sleep drug Ambien and the anti-anxiety drug Xanax in his system.He completed a drug treatment program in July.Woods has 79 PGA Tour victories and 14 majors, both second all-time, though he has not won since the Bridgestone Invitational in August 2013 for his record 18th World Golf Championships title.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Astros, Dodgers connect, riveting World Series onto Game 6 View commentslast_img read more


DONEGAL LEAD AT HALF TIME BY A POINT

first_imgLIVE FROM CROKE PARK.Donegal lead Cork by a single point at half-time – 0-08 to 0-07.It’s been a sea of green and gold at Croker  – and the noise to match. The Donegal men have more than held their own against Cork and could have been further ahead, missing some chances to extend the lead.It has been a nerve-jangling first 35 minutes and despite what the pundits have said, Donegal are leading by a single score.The sides have been level seven times in a very tight contest.Michael Murphy opened the scoring in the second minute, pointing from a free but Corkk equalised through Paul Kerrigan. Paddy Kelly then put Cork ahead only for Colm McFadden to square it at two points a piece from a free.McFadden scored again after a superb move – Donegal’s first point from open play; but Cork’s Donnacha O’Connor squares it again from a free.It was end to end stuff – and Donegal took the lead again, this time Murphy scoring a point from a free after McBrearty was flattened.Ciaran Sheehan in the 20th minute brings it level again at 0-4 to 0-4.Both sides traded scores until Mark McHugh gives Donegal a half-time lead – 0-08 to 0-07. It could have been two points but Michael Murphy misses an easy chance.More nail-biting to come!DONEGAL: Paul Durcan (Four Masters); Paddy McGrath (Ardara), Neil McGee (Gweedore), Frank McGlynn (Glenfin); Eamonn McGee (Gweedore), Karl Lacey (Four Masters), Anthony Thompson (Naomh Conaill); Neil Gallagher (Glenswilly), Rory Kavanagh (St Eunan’s); Ryan Bradley (Buncrana), Leo McLoone (Naomh Conaill), Mark McHugh (Kilcar); Patrick McBrearty (Kilcar), Michael Murphy (Glenswilly), Colm McFadden (St Michael’s).DONEGAL LEAD AT HALF TIME BY A POINT was last modified: August 26th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more


Double-decker road rage

first_imgCaltrans has quietly revived plans to widen or even double-deck the San Diego Freeway through the Sepulveda Pass, although outrage from San Fernando Valley residents may again force the agency to back down from a mammoth highway that would tower over homes. Department of Transportation officials say they’ve heard plenty of objections so are refocusing on less controversial alternatives – possibly a car-pool lane like the one between the Westside and the Valley that got fast-tracked this summer after local leaders won $130 million in federal funds. “There was a lot of negative comments about the double-decking. My thought is, relatively soon, we’ll be putting that one to bed,” said Ron Kosinski, deputy district director for Caltrans. “We’re certainly listening to the public out there. They’ve given us a lot of ideas.” But residents remain poised for a showdown over the 405 Freeway, much like the battle that erupted two years ago, when Caltrans proposed expanding the Ventura Freeway. But Caltrans resurrected the 405 proposal last summer after Congress approved $130 million for the northbound car-pool lane, jump-starting the $500 million project that otherwise wouldn’t have been built for more than a decade. Kosinski said the state wanted to look at other alternatives for improving traffic on the 405 as it was drawing up the planning documents for the car-pool lane. “The money that was secured was for the car-pool lanes, and so obviously that’s going to be a local preference, but we have to look at the range of alternatives.” The various alternatives would require condemning private property along the freeway, and would likely cost well into the billions of dollars, though Caltrans could not immediately provide a price estimate. But Caltrans got an earful from residents of homes in the Sepulveda Pass once the 405 expansion options surfaced. Residents generally support the northbound car-pool lane that would provide an obvious partner to the southbound high occupancy vehicle lane that has cut commuting time for car poolers. But residents overwhelmingly oppose any plans to build a massive freeway that require the use of eminent domain to acquire land through some of Los Angeles’ tonier neighborhoods – much the way they fought the condemnation of land to widen the 101. Richard Close, president of the Sherman Oaks Homeowners Association, points out that his group was founded more than 40 years ago when the freeway was first built through the pass. “Although we are 150 percent in support of adding the car-pool lane, we think that any idea of double-decking or drastically widening the freeway should not even be considered,” said Close, who had advocated for the car-pool lane funds in summer. “It would impact adversely too many homes and residents and businesses.” Westside residents are also beginning to monitor the project. Lori Fontanes, board member of the Westwood Hills Property Owners Association, said the group is not opposed to the the car-pool lane so long as no private property is condemned. It has no position yet on the widening or double-decking proposals. An aide to Rep. Howard Berman, D-Van Nuys, who led the successful campaign in Congress to bring home $130 million for the 405, notes that the funding approved by Congress can be spent only for the car-pool lane. Councilman Jack Weiss wants to make sure residents are protected. “We support the improvements to the 405 and we plan to work very closely with Caltrans to protect our neighbors,” said his chief of staff, Denise Sample. Kosinski said the outpouring of opposition has led Caltrans to focus on building a car-pool lane and possibly adding some mass transit options – like bus-only connector ramps from major streets to the HOV lanes. Even with community support, the northbound car-pool lane faces its own uphill battle in the state, as officials figure out how to fully fund the project, which faces a $270 million shortfall, and get it built before the federal 2009 deadline. Kosinski said the state hopes to have the planning documents finished within the next year to be put out for public review. “We want to look at … lower-cost, lower-impact alternatives,” he said. “What does that leave you to? Hopefully that leaves you to car-pool lanes.” Lisa Mascaro, (818) 713-3761 lisa.mascaro@dailynews.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals “I’m in the process of organizing the residents along this corridor just like we did on the 101 and forming a consensus,” said Gerry Silver, president of Homeowners of Encino. “We oppose double-decking or widening of the 405, but we are not opposed to other significant improvements that would improve traffic flow.” Even more, residents are angry and frustrated at the way the 405 plans quietly resurfaced last month. “It’s either on the table or it’s not,” Silver said. “If it’s on the table, then let them tell us what they exactly (are) looking to do, flesh it out. … Or take it off the table and just deal with the more realistic things.” Caltrans introduced the idea of double-decking the 405 during public meetings in 2003 – about the same time as the debate over the 101 – then shelved the plan when the state budget crisis deepened and billions of dollars were transferred from transportation accounts to the state general fund. last_img read more