Based on questions posed by the parliamentary Opposition about the Guyana People’s Militia, the National Assembly was told that 1608 persons have been recruited into the resuscitated group. Minister of State, Joseph Harmon said these persons were recruited at various levels, and they were between the ages of 18 and 35, and physically and mentally stable for entry. These persons, he said, are not forced to join the Militia, but do so of their own free will and are paid $2829 per day.Thus far, 36 persons have been recruited from Region One (Barima-Waini); 154 from Region Three (Essequibo Islands-West Demerara); 365 from Region Four (Demerara-Mahaica); 204 from Region Five (Mahaica-Berbice); 405 from Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne); 93 from Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni); 42 from Region Eight (Potaro-Siparuni); 45 from Region Nine (Upper Takutu-Upper Essequibo) and 264 from Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice).According to the Minister, recruitment teams are deployed to the various regions to sensitise persons on the programme and to recruit those interested. Special consideration is given to highly-skilled retired military personnel and skilled professionals. Advertisements are also placed on social media, radio, and television and flyers are distributed to attract interest.The officers are required to attend specialised training three times per week in the regions. The training entails personal drills, map reading and navigation, jungle and weapons training, internal security, national policy and more.Eighteen years after it was disbanded, the Guyana People’s Militia was reactivated on December 1, 2015 in keeping with the defence policy of the six-month-old administration.At the relaunching, the then Chief-of-Staff of the Guyana Defence Force (GDF), Brigadier Mark Phillips explained the advantage of having the Militia as a separate entity rather than being part of the GDF as the 2nd Infantry Battalion, as since August 1997.The Chief-of-Staff said several drill halls countrywide would be rehabilitated and Regional Companies would be strengthened through recruitment and the provision of more leadership training for officers and senior non-commissioned officers.The Militia was first established in 1976 in accordance with the Defence Act at a time when the country had been facing internal and security threats.An estimated 1000 persons have been recruited in 2014 and 2015. Phillips said a number of the 55 persons who went Absent Without Leave (AWOL) have since been taking steps to return to duty.Government also expects to boost the GDF’s Engineer Corps to be involved in infrastructural development in the hinterland. The GDF plans to acquire more aircraft and patrol vessels during the next few years.
Newcastle, Everton and Fulham are all weighing up summer bids for bargain buy Clement Grenier.The Frenchman is about to enter the final year of his current contract at Guingamp having only signed an 18-month deal when he arrived in January. Grenier is known for his ability at dead-ball situations The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star He has got his career back on track with the Ligue 1 club, scoring five goals in 15 outings in the second half of the campaign, and now the free-kick specialist is in demand again.L’Equipe has claimed that a trio of Premier League clubs have made signing the former Lyon ace a summer priority – and he could be open to the switch. IN DEMAND REVEALED TOP WORK Latest transfer news What’s more, it has been suggested that either Newcastle, Everton or Fulham would only have to pay around £2.5m for his services because of his contract situation. Liverpool’s signings under Michael Edwards – will Minamino be the next big hit? targets 2 Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January RANKED targets LIVING THE DREAM Chelsea confident of beating Man United and Liverpool to Sancho signing moving on Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer Grenier impressed after joining Guingamp in January Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland LATEST 2 All three of them have reportedly made contact about a potential switch but clubs from across Europe – including AC Milan, Fenerbahce and Rennes – are also in the running to sign the 27-year-old. Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti three-way race
BREAKING NEWS: This is the scene this morning after a trailer came away from its lorry on the outskirts of Letterkenny.A serious accident was miraculously avoided after the low-loader containing a large digger broke free from the lorry and landed in the middle of the busy road close to the Dry Arch roundabout.There are now serious traffic disruptions as workmen attempt to get the low-loader back onto the lorry. An eye-witness told Donegaldaily.com “It was a miracle nobody was hurt. The low-loader just seemed to break free from the lorry and plonked itself in the middle of the road.“If there had been motorists close behind then they would have smashed into the back of the low-loader because nobody knew what was happening,” he said.Nobody was hurt during the accident.It is believed another car pulled out in front of the lorry. The Gardai have arrived at the scene and are now directing traffic around the incident. MOTORISTS ESCAPE INJURY AFTER DIGGER COMES OFF LORRY was last modified: December 6th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)