Ebola-like outbreak reported in Congo Republic

first_imgMay 16, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – Nine people have died in the Republic of Congo from a hemorrhagic disease that authorities are describing as “Ebola-like,” and at least another 52 people who had contact with the victims are being monitored, according to news reports today.The prelude to the cluster of deaths follows a plot that could be lifted from past Ebola outbreaks. A hunting party from Itoumbi and Mbomo districts, several hundred kilometers north of Brazzaville, the capital, encountered a dead monkey and ate it, according to Alphonse Gando, the Congo Republic’s minister of health, as reported by Agence France-Presse (AFP) on May 12.Ebola is a highly contagious filovirus that can cause a gruesome death following hemorrhaging and is lethal in 50% to 90% of cases. Although there is no treatment and little is understood about its animal reservoir, contact with primates has been known to precipitate human outbreaks. The Congo Republic and neighboring Gabon have had several Ebola outbreaks, which have killed about 360 people since 1994, AFP reported.”We don’t have lab confirmation yet, but it has all the features of an Ebola outbreak,” said Dick Thompson, a World Health Organization spokesman, as quoted in a New York Times story today.Congo Republic health officials have moved quickly since the outbreak began in late April to investigate and stop the spread of the disease, according to the Times. This may indicate the country is learning how to cope with such outbreaks, Thompson told the newspaper.In nearby Angola, authorities are still struggling with the deadliest known outbreak of a similar hemorrhagic disease caused by the Marburg virus. New cases were still being reported, Reuters news service reported today, despite repeated announcements from local authorities that the outbreak was coming under control.”The outbreak is not over,” Aphaluck Bhatiasevi of the WHO told Reuters. The death toll stood at 292, with 336 known cases, Reuters reported. WHO numbers reported May 11 were lower: 316 known cases and 276 deaths.Authorities seemed most concerned about the appearance of apparently unrelated cases. “We’ve seen new cases in new municipalities that don’t have obvious links to earlier cases of Marburg,” Bhatiasevi said. “We are trying to do as much tracing as possible.”Preventing the spread of Marburg as a byproduct of certain traditional practices, particularly cleaning the dead before burial, continues to be a challenge for healthcare workers, Jose Van Dunem, a deputy health minister, told Reuters. Six traditional healers have died, but others are beginning to change their habits, he added.See also:May 13 WHO statement on Congo Republic outbreakhttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2005_05_13/en/index.htmlMay 11 WHO statement on Marburg outbreak in Angolahttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2005_05_11/en/index.htmllast_img read more


ASA rejects complaints about anti-cannabis billboard

first_imgAdvertising Standards Authority rejects complaints about anti-cannabis billboardNewsHub 30 April 2019 The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has rejected complaints about an anti-cannabis billboard.Family First New Zealand funded the billboard, which displayed on a building beside the Southern Motorway in Auckland.It reads “You can’t legalise marijuana and promote mental health,” in large letters.Underneath this, it reads “Don’t legalise.”On Tuesday, the Complaints Board ruled the advertisement “did not contain anything indecent, exploitative or degrading, did not cause fear or distress and was socially responsible.”The ASA also ruled the billboard was unlikely to mislead consumers.A previous billboard from Family First NZ received multiple complaints earlier this year.This billboard was emblazoned with the slogan “Marijuana has a kids menu,” with photographs of various cannabis paraphernalia, some of which appeared to look like lollies.Seven complaints were received about this advert, with concern being the billboard was misleading, unsubstantiated and played on fear.In February, ASA ruled the billboard did not contain anything indecent, or degrading. It also ruled the advert didn’t cause fear or distress, and was socially responsible.“Drug use is a major health issue, and that’s why the role of the law is so important,” said National Director of Family First NZ Bob McCoskrie in a statement on Tuesday.“The public of New Zealand are not getting this information. Our billboards are designed to raise these inconvenient truths – and to provoke debate and discussion.”Family First NZ is an organization that seeks to promote “strong families, marriage and the value of life.”The organisation is vehemently against the legalisation of cannabis, saying it would be “foolish.”“The illegality of the drug and other drugs is vital as we fight the devastation its use causes on the users, their families and society in general,” they said in a statement in February.Family First NZ also led the opposition to the 2007 anti-smacking law, and the 2013 same sex marriage bill.https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2019/04/advertising-standards-authority-rejects-complaints-about-anti-cannabis-billboard.htmllast_img read more


Fresh criminal proceedings opened against Sepp Blatter

first_imgThe Swiss attorney general has confirmed that criminal proceedings have been opened against Sepp Blatter for criminal mismanagement and misappropriation of funds.According to the Swiss criminal code, Blatter could, if convicted, face a custodial sentence of up to five years depending on the circumstances of the offence.The news broke on Friday afternoon, shortly after FIFA cancelled a planned press conference at which Blatter was set to appear to confirm the dates of the 2022 Qatar World Cup.At the time, media and FIFA members were baffled by the late cancellation; it is now clear that the press conference was axed as Blatter was being questioned by Swiss authorities in Zurich, with his lawyer Lorenz Erni having reportedly arrived at FIFA headquarters.The attorney general released a statement explaining the charges, alleging that Blatter “violated his fiduciary duties” with regard to a 2005 TV contract signed with the Caribbean Football Union, which at the time was headed up by Jack Warner.Swiss TV channel SRF reported earlier this month that Warner bought 2010 and 2014 World Cup TV rights for just under £400,000 in a deal that was signed off by Blatter, and sold them on for around £12 million. Blatter is also alleged to have made a “disloyal” payment to UEFA president Michel Platini of two million Swiss Francs (£1.35 million), “which was allegedly made for work performed between January 1999 and June 2002 ; this payment was executed in February 2011.”The statement also confirmed that Blatter’s office has been searched and data seized.FIFA issued a statement a few minutes later confirming the news, saying that they have been cooperating with the investigation since May, and that they will make no further comment.The 79-year-old Blatter has been in charge of FIFA since 1998. He has always maintained that he is innocent of any wrongdoing.Attorney Richard Cullen, Blatter’s US lawyer, said a contract the Swiss Attorney General said Blatter signed in 2005 with the Caribbean Football Union was “properly prepared and negotiated by the appropriate staff members of FIFA.” “Certainly no mismanagement occurred,” he said in an emailed statement. Investigative journalist Jamil Chade reported via Twitter that Blatter will not be suspended from the FIFA presidency.–Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySportslast_img read more