The Port of Singapore, one of the leading global bunker ports, is gearing up for the IMO’s new sulphur regulations that will change the landscape for the bunker industry.Namely, as of January 1, 2020, the shipping industry needs to switch to fuels containing 0.5 pct levels of sulphur, considerably down from the current 3.5 percent.One of the major concerns for owners has been the availability of compliant fuels across global ports.To prepare the industry for the global sulphur cap, the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) plans to publish an information sheet on the list of licensed bunker suppliers of low-sulphur fuels in Singapore by mid-2019.The information sheet will be made available online.As disclosed, several bunker suppliers and oil majors including Shell, ExxonMobil and BP have affirmed their readiness to supply 0.5 percent compliant fuels by January 1, 2020.“This year marks the 20th edition of the Singapore International Bunkering Conference and Exhibition (SIBCON) and it remains the key global platform to provide thought leadership for the industry. In light of the International Maritime Organization’s global sulphur limit from 1 January 2020, Singapore is committed to ensure a sufficient and broad range of solutions available to ship owners,” Andrew Tan, Chief Executive, MPA said.MPA also plans to set up a new work group with the industry to develop a roadmap that will include drivers such as digitalisation and innovation, and transparency and productivity in the sector. The work group will work towards completing the roadmap by fourth quarter of 2019.LNG bunkering has been one of the key projects in the port’s preparations for the future of the bunker industry.In 2014, MPA formed an international focus group to deepen cooperation and information sharing on LNG bunkering. Since then, the LNG bunkering port focus group has grown from three to 11 participants.The Suez Canal Economic Zone Authority joined the group formally on Wednesday, October 3, becoming the first one from the Middle East. The expansion was formalized via an MoU signing during the Singapore International Bunkering Conference and Exhibition’s (SIBCON) opening ceremony.“To kick-start the use of LNG as a marine fuel, MPA has co-funded the construction of eight LNG-fueled vessels. The first two were delivered this year to Keppel SMIT Towage and Maju Maritime, which have since conducted a total of 15 LNG bunkering operations. We expect this number to grow as more LNG-fueled vessels are delivered,” Singapore’s Minister of transport and Health, Lam Pin Min, said.“Outside of Singapore, MPA continues to work closely with ten other like-minded ports through the LNG Bunkering Port Focus Group. I am glad to note that the focus group will be releasing a joint timeline today, showing the readiness of each port to provide LNG bunkering facilities.”The focus group released an infographic jointly developed by the members:Image Courtesy: MPA Singapore Click to enlargeBeyond the use of LNG as a marine fuel in the Port of Singapore, the MPA has allocated SGD 5 million to the Green Energy Programme (GEP) to support the development of other cleaner alternative marine fuels. Companies can tap on the fund to carry out various activities including the conduct of research and development for cleaner marine fuel solutions in Singapore.Earlier this year, MPA announced the mandatory use of mass flow metering (MFM) system for delivery of distillates in the port as of July 2019, to boost transparency and productivity of the bunker industry.MPA has commenced the acceptance tests to roll out MFM on bunker tankers for the delivery of distillates.“The first test was completed in September 2018 and MPA is working closely with owners to schedule acceptance tests for all distillates bunker tankers. MPA is on track to implement the mandatory use of MFM on all bunker tankers delivering distillates by 1 July 2019,” the port authority said.In the coming months, the port authority plans to pilot an electronic Bunker Delivery Notes (e-BDN) to drive greater productivity, efficiency and transparency in the bunkering process. e-BDNs allow important bunkering information to be transmitted almost instantaneously to both buyers and sellers. MPA will continue to work with the industry to roll out this initiative as early as 2020.
The Ghana minister of Sports has been explaining the rationale behind his decision to purchase the division one league club.Minister of Youth and Sports, Mahama Ayariga has confirmed to the media that he was in the process of acquiring division one league club Tamale All Stars.“Yes we are in the process of taking over Tamale All Stars which we are transferring to Bawku and in fact I have applied to the GFA for the name to be changed to Bawku United,” he said.The Minister was also quick to dismiss the public sentiments citing conflict of interest. “I don’t see there being any conflict of interest because I don’t manage the FA so I don’t see how that will occur. “In fact the person who manages the FA is himself a club owner. “There is no way there will be a conflict of interest between my job in terms of policy formation among other things and having a team for my constituency,” he noted.He further mentioned that the decision to acquire the club for the Bawku community is in a bid to harness the talent among the Youth.“You may know that I am the Member of Parliament for Bawku Central and we should not lose sight of the fact that apart from my responsibilities as a minister I have specific responsibilities as a Member of Parliament to promote entertainment, youth development and sports in my community,” he added. According to him there are ways in which sports can be used to promote unity, and Bawku has had a troubled history of many of our young people being involved in conflict and we have been exploring ways and means of promoting togetherness and unity among the youth.“We want to find them alternative avenues of engaging their attention instead of having them focus on negative things so we thought that having a football club for the constituency called Bawku United will rebrand Bawku and secondly provide the youth who specifically have talent in football an opportunity for their individual development,” he noted.
Despite the home ground advantage, the Tahitians were too fast with their footwork leading throughout the match.In the first quarter, Tahiti took the lead by six points however the scoreline extended in the second quarter by 20 points, taking Tahiti’s score to 45-25.Despite aggressive play by home girl Betty Angula and the home crowd on their side, the Tahitians remained fearless and held the lead.In the third quarter, PNG struggled to close the gap with the score 65-37.Tahiti maintained their lead in the final quarter, finishing 90-57 at full time.