Letterkenny’s Oatfield sweet factory has finally closed today with the loss of 17 jobs.The announcement was made by the company’s owners Z Candy a short time ago.Local Letterkenny Chamber President John Watson said the news came as no surprise but was nonetheless a blow to the town. “The closure of Oatfields unfortunately does not come as a surprise and this announcement ends the speculation that has been around for a number of months about the future.“Oatfield Sweets is very much an institution in Letterkenny and part of the fabric of the Town that will be missed. The decision to move manufacturing to the base in the UK is very disappointing and a sign of the times as businesses continue to come under pressure to reduce costs.“At this time it is important that we think of the employees who have given many years to Oatfield and we offer any help we can to them. We would also like to acknowledge the contribution of Oatfield Sweets to the business life of Letterkenny and the support we as a Chamber have had from the company over the years.”The move has also been condemned by Labour Party Senator Jimmy Harte who said the owners could have done more to engage with the workers. “Oatfield Sweets are an iconic part of the area and have been employing workers for generations.“Many families have had long links with the company and the loss of 17 is a blow to the local economy“The McKinney family have been making swwets in Letterkenny for 85 years and the new owners Z Candy have now decided to discontinue the tradition which could have been avoided,” he said.He said he spoke to workers reps today who are saddened to get this news but it was something that they were expecting.“I have to say that the owners have been gradually winding down the plant and they have not been active in trying to engage with the local agencies to save the plant. “I would ask that they now give the workers their entitlements and I have spoken with Minister Joan Burton today to ask her assistance with any issues that the staff will require.“The workers in Oatfield have been dignified throughout this period and I hope that they will be looked after now,” he said.EndsOATFIELD’S SWEET FACTORY FINALLY CLOSES WITH LOSS OF 17 JOBS was last modified: April 28th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card Sentencing for co-defendant Jose Medina, 25, who was accused of being the gunman, was postponed until Thursday because his attorney was at another trial. Barba’s mother, grandmother and sister attended the sentencing but did not make a statement, Osorio said. A fourth defendant, Jason Falcon, 26, was acquitted. Marron, Medina, and Vallejo were each also convicted of attempted murder in connection with a female passenger in Barba’s car, and jurors also found true gang and gun allegations against the three defendants. The victim and the three convicted defendants were gang members, but there was no evidence that Falcon was a gang member, prosecutors said. Two men have been sentenced to 50 years to life in prison in the gang-related slaying of a teenager who was gunned down in Lake Los Angeles as he drove away from a friend’s house. Eighteen-year-old Ernesto Barba was shot and killed in January 2004 after a fight with a group of men who had been standing outside a house where he went to retrieve a music CD. George Marron and Raymond Vallejo, both 24, were each convicted in November of first-degree murder by a Los Angeles Superior Court jury. “Because they chose to involve themselves in a gang fight resulting in the shooting death of the victim, both defendants will not be eligible for their first parole hearing until they are about 72 years old,” Deputy District Attorney Benny Osorio said after Friday’s sentencing. Barba had gone to a friend’s house in the 40500 block of 174th Street East early Jan. 3 to pick up the CD when he was confronted by the defendants, who challenged him by asking, “Where are you from?” prosecutors said. He responded with a gang name, the defendants replied with their gang affiliation, and a fight ensued, prosecutors said. Barba got into his car and drove off while Medina ran into the middle of the street and fired 13 shots. Barba’s car was found crashed two blocks away, and the victim had been shot in the back of the head, prosecutors said. Falcon held back one of the witnesses for several seconds while he was trying to help Barba, prosecutors said. Barba was a student at Desert Sands Continuation High School but had been preparing to start a new job in the next week. Medina was arrested in February 2004 in Texas after investigators learned he might have left California and alerted other police agencies around the country. The others were arrested in Lake Los Angeles in the two months after the killing. Karen Maeshiro, (661) 267-5744 firstname.lastname@example.org 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
The Department of Education says that unless the Met Éireann weather warning is upgraded to Status Red, schools will remain open. It is up to each individual school to decide whether or not to open this morning.A spokesperson for the Department says: “It’s entirely up to the board of management whether a school opens or closes due to snow.“Only in a red weather alert situation would there be a nationwide closure of schools.” A Status Yellow weather advisory is currently in effect for Donegal, as Met Éireann forecast high seas which may lead to an increased risk of coastal flooding. This warning is valid until 9am this morning. Heavy seas are also forecast off the coast of Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick.A wind warning is also in place for Donegal, and is valid until the early hours of tomorrow morning.Currently, Donegal Daily has received no reports of school closures this morning. If you would like to send us your closure notices/road reports, please email email@example.comStorm Fionn: Morning travel delays expected following overnight snowfallDepartment of Education says schools will remain open unless weather deteriorates was last modified: January 17th, 2018 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Department of EducationdonegalSCHOOLstorm fionn