Guyana People’s Militia 1500-plus strong – Harmon

first_imgBased on questions posed by the parliamentary Opposition about the Guyana People’s Militia, the National Assembly was told that 1608 persons have been recruited into the resuscitated group. Minister of State, Joseph Harmon said these persons were recruited at various levels, and they were between the ages of 18 and 35, and physically and mentally stable for entry. These persons, he said, are not forced to join the Militia, but do so of their own free will and are paid $2829 per day.Thus far, 36 persons have been recruited from Region One (Barima-Waini); 154 from Region Three (Essequibo Islands-West Demerara); 365 from Region Four (Demerara-Mahaica); 204 from Region Five (Mahaica-Berbice); 405 from Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne); 93 from Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni); 42 from Region Eight (Potaro-Siparuni); 45 from Region Nine (Upper Takutu-Upper Essequibo) and 264 from Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice).According to the Minister, recruitment teams are deployed to the various regions to sensitise persons on the programme and to recruit those interested. Special consideration is given to highly-skilled retired military personnel and skilled professionals. Advertisements are also placed on social media, radio, and television and flyers are distributed to attract interest.The officers are required to attend specialised training three times per week in the regions. The training entails personal drills, map reading and navigation, jungle and weapons training, internal security, national policy and more.Eighteen years after it was disbanded, the Guyana People’s Militia was reactivated on December 1, 2015 in keeping with the defence policy of the six-month-old administration.At the relaunching, the then Chief-of-Staff of the Guyana Defence Force (GDF), Brigadier Mark Phillips explained the advantage of having the Militia as a separate entity rather than being part of the GDF as the 2nd Infantry Battalion, as since August 1997.The Chief-of-Staff said several drill halls countrywide would be rehabilitated and Regional Companies would be strengthened through recruitment and the provision of more leadership training for officers and senior non-commissioned officers.The Militia was first established in 1976 in accordance with the Defence Act at a time when the country had been facing internal and security threats.An estimated 1000 persons have been recruited in 2014 and 2015. Phillips said a number of the 55 persons who went Absent Without Leave (AWOL) have since been taking steps to return to duty.Government also expects to boost the GDF’s Engineer Corps to be involved in infrastructural development in the hinterland. The GDF plans to acquire more aircraft and patrol vessels during the next few years.last_img read more


DONEGAL MAN’S GENEROUS OFFER AFTER CHILDREN’S TV’s STOLEN FROM HOSPITAL

first_imgA big-hearted Donegal man has donated a number of televisions to a children’s hospital after he heard how TVs and children’s games had been stolen from the unit.Sick children’s televisions were stolen from the hospital.The man, who only wanted to be known as Philip, contacted Today FM radio station to alert them of the situation.The man revealed how he has a niece at Temple Street Hospital in Dublin for the past sixteen years. Only recently the man was told by nurses how televisions, children’s video games, air filters and even remote controls are stolen on a regular basis.The man contacted the radio station to donate a number of televisions to St Michael’s Ward after hearing about the thefts.He has also appealed to anyone who was in a position to donate items to the hospital to do so.The man revealed how nurses had informed him how security wires attached to the items had often been cut. And the man revealed how unfortunately, it was sometimes the parents of the ill children who had been blamed on the thefts.“It doesn’t say a lot about the human beings who are doing this that they would take away the items which are often the only things which the children have.“I just wanted to donate these itms and hope that other people would perhaps do the same,” he said.DONEGAL MAN’S GENEROUS OFFER AFTER CHILDREN’S TV’s STOLEN FROM HOSPITAL was last modified: July 21st, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalhsopitalstolenTemple Street HospitalTVslast_img read more