Over 17,260 farmers in Uttar Pradesh have received loan waiver certificates for only ₹1,000 or less under a scheme in which the BJP government had promised to waive farm loans of up to ₹1 lakh.Of the 17,262 farmers, 4,814 got loan waivers of amounts between ₹1 and ₹100, while 6,895 received waivers of amounts between ₹100 and ₹500 and another 5,553 got waivers between ₹500 and ₹1,000.Under the first phase of its farm loan waiver scheme, the BJP government said it had so far distributed loan waiver certificates amounting to ₹7,371 crore of more than 11.93 lakh farmers in the State.According to a statement issued by the government, 41,690 farmers have received loan waiver certificates of ₹1,000-10,000 while the largest chunk, 11.28 lakh farmers, received waiver certificates of more than ₹10,000 each.The government was forced to issue a clarification after criticism that some farmers received loan waiver certificates of inconsequential amounts under the loan waiver scheme.A farmer in Hamirpur’s Maudaha tehsil, Shanti, was shocked to receive a loan waiver certificate of ₹10.37 even though she had a debt of more than ₹50,000.Some farmers also reportedly received waiver certificates of less than ₹1, provoking the Samajwadi Party to accuse the Yogi Adityanath government of “cheating and humiliating” farmers.SP spokesperson Rajendra Chaudhary said that by “waiving off just Rs 3 of farmers with loans of Rs 1 lakh the BJP government had cheated farmers.”‘It’s interest component’Pressed to explain the low amounts of loan waiver in some certificates, the government issued a vague clarification. It said that apart from the loans, the interest outstanding too had been waived. “Due to this, in some cases the amount reflected is extremely low,” the government said.Fulfilling its election manifesto promise, the BJP government, in its first Cabinet meeting in April this year, had decided to waive farm loans, up to Rs. 1 lakh, of small and marginalised farmers.Along with the Rs 30,729 crore cost of the loan waiver, the government would settle around Rs 6000 crore of NPA of seven lakh small and marginalised farmers, to whom the banks had stopped issuing loans, through a one-time payment.
The Bombay High Court at Goa on Friday held that Goa Marriott Resort cannot be given a special status and rejected the Goa Coastal Zone Management Authority’s (GCZMA) second report that ruled out any Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) violations by the hotel at Miramar. A Division Bench comprising Justices N.M. Jamdar and Prithviraj Chavan also asked the hotel to ensure that it does not obstruct public access to the beach and ordered the State government to take measures to make the path to the beach accessible. The case is being fought by environmental organisation Goa Foundation for over two decades.The court observed that “the government authorities unduly favoured the hotel by inventing a new set of criteria to determine the high tide line (HTL) and dropped all action against it for illegal constructions”. On the issue of HTL, the High Court blamed GCZMA for making the issue complex. “The high tide line will have to be drawn as per law, and it is not for the authorities to invent a new set of rules and criteria for a single construction. The hotel cannot enjoy a special status,” said the court.The order said GCZMA had accepted the second report favouring the hotel by introducing the concept of soil erosion to determine HTL of 1991. The first report prepared by the planning authorities had also concluded that there was no violation by the hotel, which was rejected by a Division Bench of the High Court earlier.The High Court has now asked the Chennai-based National Centre for Sustainable Coastal Management to complete the task of identifying the HTL within four months and prepare a report. Further, it directed the authorities, including the State government, to act on the report within four weeks after receiving it and take action against the hotel if it is found to have carried out construction in violation of CRZ rules.Simultaneously, the court has directed the hotel and government to provide necessary documents in the case and ordered that the violation will be viewed seriously and treated as contempt of the court.
LATEST STORIES Smith participated in the Mavericks’ shootaround on Friday morning and was a late scratch.The Mavericks were also missing guard Devin Harris, who was granted leave of absence after his brother died on Thursday.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion Kin of Misamis Oriental hero cop to get death benefits, award — PNP Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Rockets could be without Paul for four weeks — reports Dennis Smith Jr. #1 of the Dallas Mavericks dribbles the ball against Dennis Schroder #17 of the Atlanta Hawks in the first half at American Airlines Center on October 18, 2017 in Dallas, Texas. Ronald Martinez/Getty Images/AFPDALLAS — Dallas Mavericks rookie point guard Dennis Smith Jr. missed Friday’s game against the Sacramento Kings with swelling in his left knee.Smith, the ninth pick in the NBA draft out of North Carolina State, had 16 points and 10 assists in the Mavericks’ season-opening loss to the Atlanta Hawks.ADVERTISEMENT QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles01:43Who are Filipinos rooting for in the NBA Finals?00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games MOST READ View comments Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 Read Next CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC
Photo: Flickr.comThe Texas Department of Public Safety will be extra watchful during the Memorial Day weekend and Troopers will be on the lookout for intoxicated drivers, as well as for drivers who are going over the speed limit or who are not complying with seat belt and other traffic laws.The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) will be extra watchful during the Memorial Day weekend and Troopers will be on the lookout for intoxicated drivers, as well as for drivers who are going over the speed limit or who are not complying with seat belt and other traffic laws.“By driving sober, wearing your seat belt, obeying traffic laws and using extra caution, you can help prevent senseless tragedies,” DPS Director Steven McCraw said in a news release.During the 2017 Memorial Day holiday weekend, DPS Troopers issued nearly 60,000 citations and warnings, including more than 1,000 seat belt and child safety restraint tickets.The DPS encourages drivers to drive defensively as holiday travel may present additional challenges and to monitor weather and road conditions.You can visit the website https://drivetexas.org to monitor road conditions in Texas. Share
The U.S. States Attorney’s Office, Baltimore Police and the FBI announced Tuesday morning the indictment of 12 members of a dangerous Baltimore gang.Seven of the 12 indicted gang members are (l-r): Terrell Sivells, 26; John Harrison, 27; Taurus Tillman, 28; Linton Broughton, 24; Dennis Pulley, 30; Montana Barronette, 22; and Roger Taylor, 26.. (Courtesy Photos)The TTG gang or “Trained To Go” gang, according to police and the Feds are, “Ruthless, killing within their own communities, and now the alleged crimes, some dating back years, have caught up to them.”According to authorities, members of TTG, engaged in drug distribution, murder, kidnapping, assault, robbery, and witness intimidation.“They do it to protect turf. They do it to eliminate and intimidate rivals,” U.S. Attorney Stephen Schenning told the AFRO.According to the U.S. Attorney, the gang has been linked to at least 10 murders over a six year span, including a triple murder that took place almost 2 years ago.Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said at the press conference that TTG was, “calculating and cold blooded and they premeditated their killings.”“When they can leave their homes with guns in their waistbands, and execute people on the streets of Baltimore, and leave 45, 50 shell casings at a crime scene , and think they can get away with it, this is hopefully a message to them,” Commissioner Davis said.According to law enforcement, the gang often targeted areas where they lived in the Sandtown neighborhood of West Baltimore.Each gang member Indicted faces a maximum sentence of life in prison on the racketeering and drug conspiracy charges. Five of the 12 Indicted face mandatory life in prison for murder and racketeering.These charges are death penalty eligible as a federal capital offense.One of the 5 defendants facing mandatory life sentences is 22 year-old Montana Barronette, (also known as Tana or Tanner).Less than a year ago, Barronette was Baltimore City’s Public Enemy #1 and #1 trigger puller as identified by Baltimore Police.“Barronette is very good at his craft,” said Commissioner Davis. “His craft is killing.”The defendants are:Montana Barronette, (Tana or Tanner), age 22Terrell Sivells (Rell), age 26John Harrison (Binkie), age 27Taurus Tillman (Tash), age 28Linton Broughton (Marty), age 24Dennis Pulley (Denmo), age 30Roger Taylor (Milk), age 26Brandon Wilson (Ali), age 23Brandon Bazemore (Man Man), age 24Timothy Floyd (Tim Rod), age 27Hisaun Chatman, age 31James Woodfolk, age 20The FBI said they are still looking for 26-year-old Roger Taylor. If you’ve seen him, you are urged to call the FBI, Baltimore Field Office at 410-265-8080.
Popular on Variety In addition to its Viveport Infinity service, HTC is also bringing its a la carte Viveport VR store to headsets supported by Windows Mixed Reality. These include headsets manufactured by Acer, HP, Asus, Dell, Lenovo and Samsung.With this latest addition Viveport Infinity is now available on all major PC-powered headsets, as well as mobile VR devices based on HTC’s own Vive Wave platform. However, the Netflix-like subscription service isn’t running on Facebook’s Oculus Quest VR headset. ×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15 HTC’s Viveport Infinity VR subscription service will be coming to Windows Mixed Reality headsets next month. VR headsets powered by Microsoft’s platform will have access to the service starting June 5, the company announced Wednesday.Viveport Infinity offers subscribers access to an unlimited number of VR games and apps for a monthly fee of $12.99. The service, which officially launched last month, currently has some 600 titles in its catalog. 200 of these will work on Windows Mixed reality headsets at launch, according to HTC.“Viveport Infinity offers all members unparalleled value and choice when it comes to experiencing and discovering VR content,” said Viveport president Rikard Steiber in a statement.“We’re excited our users now have an additional opportunity to discover some of the best content VR has to offer at an accessible price through Viveport Infinity,” added Microsoft’s Mixed Reality director Dan Newell.