WASHINGTON, DC – JANUARY 14: (AFP OUT) Members of the Clemson Tigers football team prepare to dine on fast food served by President Trump to celebrate their Championship at the White House on January 14, 2019 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Chris Kleponis-Pool/Getty Images)Clemson football’s White House trip following the program’s national championship drew a lot of attention, thanks to the unconventional spread provided by President Donald Trump.It was unclear why Clemson’s trip was rushed along and done during a government shutdown—the Tigers’ trip two years ago was in June—but they were greeted by a spread of fast food from McDonald’s, Burger King, Wendy’s, and Domino’s.What was not really reported upon was the group of Tiger players that made the trip.Quarterback Trevor Lawrence was present, and drew the President’s attention. Trump said that he wanted to be the superstar freshman’s agent in a few years.Many of his most prominent teammates were not there, however, per a new report.The Root spoke to three anonymous Clemson football players who say that the vast majority of the roster’s black players did not make the trip.According to the players, who were standouts on the Tigers’ title team per the site, the President was the reason that many decided not to go. Those who did were largely younger players, or those whose roles on the team were less certain.From the report:The Root spoke with three black Clemson players who each separately confirmed that many players, both black and white, had no interest in making the trip. All three acknowledged that Donald Trump was the reason they chose not to attend. Even more telling, most of Clemson’s white players were in attendance while nearly three-fourths of the school’s black football players took a hard pass on the chance to eat cold fries with the president of people who eat salads from McDonald’s.“It wasn’t like we had a team meeting or anything,” said one of Clemson’s offensive stars who spoke with The Root on the condition of anonymity. “Players were talking amongst each other but everybody was like: ‘I’m not going to that.’”Another defensive standout noted that coaches didn’t pressure players to accompany the team to Washington, D.C., but said that almost every black player he knew didn’t want to take the trip. However, he noted that he knew that some players only attended because they worried that refusing to attend the traditional White House visit might affect their scholarships or playing time.“Not saying anything against the players who went,” the junior explained, “but if you look at who went—freshman and people fighting for playing time—you’ll see what I’m talking about.”The Root says that just 15 of the at least 57 black players on the Tigers roster attended the trip, 11 of whom were underclassmen.More revealing than that: only six of the black players in attendance were on the depth chart for the title game against Alabama.Clemson gave a statement to The Root, saying that 76 players made the trip, with a number of others missing due to “class obligations,” as well as those who had already graduated and were no longer on campus. One of the anonymous quoted players said that the decision to go was left up to the players, and that many of those who stayed behind had the option of missing class, but instead chose to stay behind.The three players did say that the program and school did not pressure players towards making the trip.[The Root]
“The members of the Security Council take threats to shipping around Bab al-Mandeb, a strategically important shipping passage, extremely seriously,” a statement issued by the 15-member body said. The Council also stressed that the continued exercise of freedom of navigation in and around Bab al-Mandeb Strait in accordance with relevant international law must be upheld. The members of the Security Council called for such attacks to cease immediately and urged necessary steps to be taken to de-escalate the situation. They also reiterated their support to the Secretary-General’s Special Envoy for Yemen, Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, to pursue his efforts to find a political solution to the conflict in Yemen. To support the consultations of the Special Envoy, and avoid further loss of life, the members of the Security Council urged all parties to recommit to and fully respect the terms and conditions of the cessation of hostilities entered into on April 10, which will include a complete halt to ground and air military activities. Further, the Council called on all sides to resume working through the De-Escalation and Coordination Committee to facilitate the strengthening of the cessation of hostilities. Yemen has been engulfed in violence for several years now – a confrontation between the country’s Houthis (Ansar Allah) and the Government of Yemen in early 2014 led to a Houthi advance on the capital, and an ensuing conflict which has involved support from outside parties. The UN has been heavily involved in efforts to resolve the crisis. While peace talks between a Yemeni Government delegation and a delegation of the General People’s Congress and Ansar Allah continued, serious violations have occurred in Marib, al Jawf, Taiz and in the border areas with Saudi Arabia. Those UN-facilitated talks ended on 6 August.