Shumlin calls on Entergy Vermont Yankee to protect Vermont’s aquifers

first_imgDear Mr. Colomb,As Governor-elect, the integrity of Vermont’s aquifer is of the highest concern to me. I respectfully request that Entergy return its extraction wells to service and repeat my earlier request to increase the number of wells to prevent tritiated water from entering Vermont’s precious and irreplaceable aquifers.  It appears that ENVY made the decision to arbitrarily terminate the process of extracting tritiated ground water from the Vermont Yankee site as soon as 300,000-gallons of water had been removed.  The tritium concentration level of the remaining on site tritiated water after the 300,000-gallon cutoff was never provided to justify that decision.  On February 25, 2010, ENVY also made the decision to close its Construction Office Building (COB) well, which had been leaking tritiated water  into the underlying aquifer. ENVY’s February press release stated that if the well continued to operate, there was a ‘small possibility’ that its operation would draw tritium into the aquifer and cause ‘cross contamination’.  Therefore, shutting down the COB well was an appropriate precaution to avoid contaminating the aquifer.However, the October 8, 2010 hydrological COB well test results showed that the tritiated water had indeed contaminated the COB well even though it had been shut down seven months earlier.  This October 2010 discovery suggests that the likelihood of cross contamination of the COB well water was more significant than ENVY engineers had estimated in February.  The evidence shows that cross contamination of bedrock has apparently been occurring even after the COB well was shut down.  At that time, I recommended that the extraction wells remain in operation and their number be increased to avoid contamination of our aquifer. On October 13, 2010, Dr. William Irvin with the State Department of Health said,   â ¦the 300,000- gallon mark shouldn’t be an end point for the extraction process. He said cold weather is an impediment, but Entergy should continue to pump and store tritiated water through the winter. Irwin described the ‘extraction’ wells as ‘critical.’â ¦ ‘(Entergy) should make an effort to continue the extraction as long as tritium is in the water,’ Irwin said.  (Vermont Digger)Yet despite my suggestion and Dr. Irwin’s recommendation that the extraction wells remain operational, ENVY went ahead and on November 18, 2010 shut down these vital water safety devices.  The following day Entergy detected 500,000 pCi/l of tritium near the COB well and at bedrock.  This high radioactive concentration near the COB well and at bedrock is a further indication that the aquifer may be in serious jeopardy of contamination from tritium and other radioactive isotopes.Furthermore, I have been informed that since detecting tritium at a depth of 220 feet in the COB well in October, Entergy has not taken any radiation samples from the bedrock or aquifer via the COB well.  The COB well is the only source of data about what is happening in the aquifer under the site, so I also respectfully request that additional samples be taken regularly to allow the State of Vermont and Entergy to ascertain if one of Vermont’s essential aquifers has been or is being contaminated by tritiated water from this newest expansion of the tritium plume.  I also request that a formal schedule of testing of water, Connecticut River fish, and on-site vegetation be conducted for tritium, strontium and cesium.None of these requests should take any extensive effort and I would anticipate that recommended actions could be completed by the end of the week.  I would hope you would support these actions which I believe are in the public interest.  I look forward to hearing from you and to a productive working relationship.Sincerely,Peter ShumlinGovernor-Elect Northstar Vermont Yankee,Governor-elect Peter Shumlin sent a letter to Entergy’s Vermont Yankee Site Vice President, Michael Colomb today. Shumlin requests in the letter that Entergy return its extraction wells to service and repeated his request to increase the number of wells to prevent contaminated water from harming Vermont’s aquifers.The complete letter follows: December 7, 2010Michael Colomb, Site Vice President320 Governor Hunt RdVernon, Vt05304CC: Gregory Jaczko,  NRC Chairmanlast_img read more


Dominican Republic Navy Completes Summer Cruise 2015 Training Mission

first_imgOne vessel, the patrol boat Almirante Didiez Burgos (PA-301), ARD., paid an official visit to the port of Cartagena de Indias, Colombia, and sailed around the Netherlands Antilles. Meanwhile, the other two — Coast Guard boats Orion GC-109, ARD., and Altair, GC-112, ARD. — conducted exercises and patrols in Dominican territorial waters. “In 2013 in Colombia some of our cadets participated in the Unitas exercises and in 2014 some participated in the Basic Course Regional Training Command for Peacekeeping Operations (CREOMPAZ) in Guatemala,” said an ARD spokesman, who asked not to be identified by name. “They have also participated in International Sails Cruises aboard the training ships of Venezuela, Colombia, Argentina, Chile, etc.” After completing the other phases of their training, the crew of the Almirante Didiez Burgos laid a wreath at the bust of Brigadier General Juan Pablo Duarte Diez, (1813-1876), one of the founding fathers of the Dominican Republic, during a ceremony at the Almirante Padilla Naval Cadet School of the city of Cartagena de Indias. That presentation was made by Dominican Republic Navy Commander V. Bisonó and Captain Juan Camilo Forero Hauzeur, the Deputy Director of the Naval School of Cadets, who said the event was an opportunity “to strengthen ties between members of the two Armed Forces and strengthen the ties that bind the sea, such as Naval tradition.” Partners throughout Latin America are helping the ARD train to counter such threats. For example, during its visit to Cartegena, the Almirante Didiez Burgos visited the country’s Almirante Padilla Naval Cadet School; there, four Dominican Caders are studying to become Naval Officers through a cooperative agreement between the countries’ navies. ARD service members participate in joint training operations through such arrangements in Latin America throughout the year. Midshipmen Summer 2015 helps ARD service members prepare to meet the challenges imposed by organized crime groups trying to take advantage of the country’s location in the Caribbean. Such organizations often use maritime routes in the Caribbean to traffic narcotics, weapons and people. The Dominican Navy evolves to confront new threatscenter_img Three Dominican Republic Navy (ARD) vessels recently completed Midshipmen Summer 2015, an annual two-week training course where Midshipmen perform on a ship what they were taught in classrooms. They carried out search and rescue missions, plotted navigation courses on charts, performed electronic and celestial navigation and administered first aid, among other exercises, before returning to the Naval Post station of Sans Souci on June 30. The Dominican Navy’s traditional role has been focused on “civil-Military operations, defense and coastal security, environmental care and protection, disaster mitigation, both natural and man-made, and maritime security, among other [responsibilities],” said an ARD spokesman, who asked not to be identified by name. But today, he added, Dominican Navy personnel trains “in the fight against drug trafficking, illegal fishing, smuggling (contraband in general), organized crime, common crime, terrorism and other challenges that may arise.” The training has proven useful in efforts such as that launched on January 18, when the Dominican Navy deployed three cutters and two interceptor go-fast boats as part of Amphibious Shield, a security operation in the country’s northern and southern regions to combat organized crime groups who exploit natural resources and traffic narcotics, weapons, humans and contraband, such as untaxed cigarettes. By Dialogo July 31, 2015last_img read more


CBL Galvanizes Support in Southeast

first_imgThe Central Bank of Liberia has once again taken a major step to enhance its financially inclusive program across the country. The latest move by the Bank is the construction and dedication of credit union banks in Grand Gedeh and River Gee counties, in the southeast of Liberia.The two counties are among the poorest in Liberia, making access to bank loans extremely difficult. If made available, interest rates on bank loans in these counties could be very high. CBL officials, led by Executive Governor J. Mills Jones, drove to the region last weekend to open the two banks, which would be used by registered credit unions and village savings and loan associations to facilitate access to finances for businesses and residents in that part of the country. The idea of this financial inclusion scheme emanated from Dr. Jones, who believes that unless the Liberian people can have access to the national cake and poverty is reduced, the economy will not be where it ought to be, and the suffering of the people would continue. The Board of Governors of the CBL, comprised of former Finance Ministers, former National Bank governors and commercial bank executives, have endorsed this idea, which is making a strong impact in the lives of ordinary Liberians in the countries rural areas. Thousands of citizens, including business owners, government officials, elders, and youth and student groups, lined up along the roadsides in Grand Gedeh, Rivergee, Grand Kru and Maryland counties to show their support to CBL officials as they visited their counties.      Governor Jones’ trip to the Southeast was based on an invitation from citizens and officials of these counties, including Maryland County District #3 Rep. Isaac Roland, a man who is desperate to see the people of Maryland County rise from poverty.Mr. Harold K. Chea, head of the Unity Savings Credit Union in Zwedru, Grand Gedeh County, was also on hand to receive Dr. Jones and his delegation. Chea told reporters that he is proud to welcome and honor Dr. Mills Jones for his “unprecedented, invaluable, committed and dedicated service toward the empowerment of Liberians through the practical demonstration of his indigenous approach to building the Liberian economy.” Mr. Chea noted that the people of Grand Gedeh were overwhelmed by the financial and technical support they have received from the CBL through its unprecedented loan initiative under the leadership of Dr. Mills Jones.“Studies of performance for Liberian businesses after you took over as Governor of the CBL up to present reveal significant transformations in contrast to the past,” he said. “Liberian businesspeople have seen a new day. Access to finance is no longer a major issue; acquisition of skills and knowledge through capacity building is a milestone achievement that is accelerating the growth and expansion of Liberian owned businesses. We must commend you significantly for that,” Governor Jones,” lauded Mr. Chea.Rep. Isaac Roland was among several Liberians who praised the CBL Executive Governor for his loan initiative “that is helping our people significantly”.In response, Dr. Jones expressed his gratitude to the people of Maryland, Grand Gedeh, River Gee and Grand Kru Counties for appreciating the work of the CBL. The CBL boss reiterated: “no one, irrespective of his/her geographic location, should see poverty as their destiny or as a badge of honor.” The CBL boss assured rural dwellers that the Bank remains committed to working with the Board of Governors, management and staff for the sustainable transformation of the Liberian economy.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more


Wanyama scores thunderbolt as Spurs, Liverpool draw

first_img0Shares0000Victor Wanyama scores a thunderbolt from 30 yards/Premier LeagueLIVERPOOL, United Kingdom, Feb 4 – Harambee Stars Captain Victor Wanyama stepped off the bench to score barely two minutes on the pitch as Liverpool and Tottenham played to a 2-2 draw at Anfield on Sunday.Wanyama’s thunderbolt from 30 yards cancelled out Mohammed Salah’s third minute goal but there was to be plenty of drama in the final five minutes. Harry Kane missed a penalty just after Wanyama’s goal and on the other end, Salah scored his second, but Spurs had a late penalty this time converted by Kane for a two-all scoreline.Liverpool were leading 1-0 with 12 minutes left after Mohamed Salah’s opener but Victor Wanyama thumped Spurs level before Kane won a penalty on 85 minutes.However, the England international spurned the opportunity and Salah sensationally put Liverpool in front in injury time with an exquisite solo effort.That looked the end of the drama but Spurs won a second penalty with their final attack when the linesman overruled referee Jon Moss for a Virgil van Dijk challenge on Erik Lamela.In front of a disgruntled home crowd, Kane made no mistake to become the player to reach 100 Premier League goals in the second-shortest time.Harry Kane missed one penalty but buried another to earn Spurs a pointWith just three minutes gone, Liverpool’s high press forced Eric Dier into a horrendous back-pass which was seized upon by Salah, who was presented with an easy finish past Hugo Lloris from 10 yards out.Tottenham looked rocked by the early goal as Liverpool continued to play with energy through Jordan Henderson and James Milner in midfield – however, the second goal evaded them with Milner and Roberto Firmino skewing shots wide after some creative play by Trent Alexander-Arnold.After the break Spurs started to find their rhythm and ask questions of Liverpool defensively.Jurgen Klopp made two changes after the win at Huddersfield, and they were both defensive. Virgil van Dijk came in for Joel Matip and Trent Alexander-Arnold replaced Joe Gomez.Spurs were unchanged following the 2-0 win against Manchester United.The atmosphere around Anfield was becoming nervy with their team dropping deeper and Klopp switched to a back five for the final 10 minutes in order to see the game out.Salah has scored 21 goals in 25 Premier League games for LiverpoolHis defensive tactic didn’t reap the required effect as Spurs levelled in spectacular fashion.Eriksen’s cross from the left was palmed clear by Karius into the path of Wanyama, who struck a quite breath-taking half-volley into the top corner.The drama wasn’t done there as Spurs won a penalty in the 85th minute as Kane nipped through and went down under minimal contact from Karius.The script seemed set for the England international to net his 100th Premier League goal but his penalty was straight down the middle and Karius blocked it away.Liverpool then thought they’d won it when Salah somehow twisted and turned in the box, beating two Spurs defenders, and poked a fine finish into the net.With Anfield rocking, the home fans’ joy quickly turned to anger when Lamela was felled by Van Dijk inside the area. The referee originally waved away the appeals but the linesman flagged and Moss brought the play back to award the penalty.This time Kane stayed cool and quite a bonkers match ended all square.“I am not allowed to go in their room until half an hour after the game, do you think the first thingJurgen Klopp was unimpressed with the two penalties awarded to Tottenham, saying ‘it’s hard to accept the decisions’.–Courtesy Sky Sports0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more