US, UK troops among 3 dead in Iraq rocket attack: US official

first_imgIran retaliated by launching a volley of missiles at an Iraqi base hosting US soldiers days later.The US leads an international coalition — comprised of dozens of countries and thousands of soldiers — formed in Iraq in 2014 to confront the Islamic State, a jihadist group that Baghdad declared defeated in late 2017. While IS has lost its territory, sleeper cells remain capable of carrying out attacks.The Iraqi parliament voted to expel all foreign soldiers from the country in the wake of the killing of Soleimani, a decision that must be executed by the government. The outgoing government, which resigned in December in the face of mass protests, has yet to be replaced due to a lack of agreement in parliament — one of the most divided in Iraq’s recent history. Topics : An American soldier and a British soldier, as well as one US contractor, were killed Wednesday when rockets hit an Iraqi military base north of Baghdad, a US military official said.It was the deadliest attack on an installation hosting foreign troops in several years and comes after a spate of rocket attacks targeting US troops across Iraq as well as the US embassy in Baghdad. There was no immediate claim of responsibility but Washington has blamed Iran-backed factions for similar attacks. The Iraqi army had earlier said the attack against the Taji base did not wound anyone or cause any damage, in what was the 22nd attack against American military interests in the country since late October.Previous rocket attacks targeting US soldiers, diplomats and facilities in Iraq in recent months have killed one US contractor and an Iraqi soldier. Two days after the death of an American in rockets fired on an Iraqi military base in Kirkuk at the end of last year, the US army hit five bases in Iraq and Syria used by the pro-Iran armed faction Kataeb Hezbollah.Tensions then rose further between arch foes Washington and Tehran, leading to the assassination in Baghdad on January 3 of the powerful Iranian military commander Qasem Soleimani and an Iraqi paramilitary commander in a US drone strike. last_img read more


Brisbane house ‘most viewed’ in Australia is back on the market

first_img There are multiple entertaining areas.Third, the layout is perfect for a family. It has the separation of the master from the other bedrooms and has multiple living areas, which is what professional families are after,” she said.“Finally, it’s the level of the quality of the build. It’s a substantial build and clients of this calibre understand how much it would cost to replace a home of this quality.”Architecturally designed, 37 Quay Street Brisbane sits comfortably on an 885sq m block by the Brisbane river. This homes at 37 Quay St, Bulimba, captured the eyes of the nation when it was last on the market.A Brisbane house that captured the nation’s attention when it went up for sale two years ago is back on the market.The property at 37 Quay Street, Bulimba, marketed in 2018, was at one point the most viewed house in Australia on realestate.com.au, receiving almost 200,000 hits, and attracting a large number of inquiries. Hey good looking: 37 Quay St, Bulimba, is back on the market.It sold on May 21, 2018, for $3.7 million through Paula Pearce of Place Bulimba estate agency.Little has changed about the house since it was last snapped up, but will it be able to attract the same attention second time around and in an unpredictable COVID-19 market? The property is said to be an entertainer’s dream.Ms Pearce, who is again marketing the property, said she couldn’t see why not and those who missed out last time could now have a second bite at the cherry.She said that of the previous inquiries, about 70 per cent were from local buyers, with 30 per cent coming from interstate and overseas. In fact, it was a family from Sydney that finally sealed the deal, relocating to Brisbane from NSW.However, work commitments have forced them to make another interstate move, which is why the house is back on the market so soon. The kitchen has top-range appliances.Ms Pearce said she expected the qualities that first attracted people to the home would again make it popular among buyers.“This house has the full package. First, is the location. It’s in what we call the river avenues of Bulimba, which are highly sought after,” she said. “Second, it’s on a large block, almost 900 sq m, which are hard to find.” The built-in outside barbecue and covered entertaining space.“At the beginning of COVID-19 people were cautious because they didn’t know what was going to happen. But as the curve has flattened, confidence has returned and people are out there making decisions and purchasing properties,” she said.The property launched today and is open to expressions of interest through Place Estate Agency Bulimba. An open for inspection will be held tomorrow, June 13, from 3.30pm to 4pm. The master bedroom is spacious with a luxury ensuite and walk-in wardrobe.The outside space includes a custom built-in barbecue, inground pool and spa, and a covered entertainer’s area with a bathroom and shower.Ms Pearce said while she could not predict what the market would do, she was confident that there were buyers out there in the right price bracket that were willing to buy, irrespective of COVID-19. More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus9 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market9 hours agoThe property is filled with light and has double-height voids.Internally it has an open-plan layout on the ground level, with double height voids, expansive glass windows, matte tiled flooring and the use of cedar on walls and ceilings. The kitchen, designed by Garsden & Clarke, is ideal for culinary enthusiasts and features Essastone benchtops, two ovens and a large butler’s pantry. The five bedrooms can be found on the second storey with plenty of space between the master and secondary rooms. last_img read more


Ferguson bows out in style – Yorke

first_img Press Association “I’ve seen Sir Alex Ferguson on Monday at a charity game,” the former Trinidad and Tobago international told Sky Sports News. “He was in good spirits but the rumours were really strong around the place that he was going to retire and there was a big announcement supposed to be happening tomorrow and not today. “I think probably the fact of the club floating on the stock market meant this decision needed to come out very quickly. But the people within the football club knew this was likely to happen this season.” He added: “And I think with his hip replacement (booked in for late July), with David Gill going as well, that sort of pushed him to say ‘this might be the best time for me to retire’.” Yorke expects there to be a strange atmosphere in the immediate wake of Ferguson’s departure from the helm. “He’s been such a focal point at the football club,” he said. “He’s taken Manchester United to the level they are at right now. “It’s a shock to the system because he’s been there every day. He’s the one person when you go into the football club he’s always there. For him not to be there from the start of next season, it’s not going to be right around the football club and it will take some getting used to.” Ferguson, of course, will be bowing out on a high having regained the Premier League title after being pipped to the crown by rivals Manchester City in dramatic circumstances on the final day of last term. “He has very, very high standards and it’s all about winning trophies and breaking records with Sir Alex Ferguson,” Yorke continued. “But there’s more to the man. How they lost the Premier League last season – that would have hurt him immensely. Certainly losing it to Manchester City, that would have hurt worse than anything else. “He wanted to regain it and he’s managed to do that in a great way and with a great style of play.” center_img Former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke, who played under Sir Alex Ferguson between 1998 and 2002 and was part of the 1999 treble-winning side, feels a combination of factors led the Scot to call it a day at the age of 71.last_img read more


Michelle’s Encore Dance Studio presents Master Teacher Mackenzie Crosley

first_imgMichelle’s Encore Dance Studio is offering a Master Teacher, Mackenzie Crosley, to do a contemporary class at the studio on June 23. She is a professional working dancer in Los Angeles and teaches at IDA Hollywood and MDC in Orange County. She is a founder of SouldeSoul Convention out of Oklahoma City. Crosley travels and teaches in New York City, California, and the Midwest. To register for this exciting event click here.Âlast_img


L.A.’s defense

first_imgRICHARD Riordan, the colorful former L.A. mayor, joined Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa last week to blast the federal government and announce a local panel of terrorism advisers. “We’re fools if we think we can rely on Washington, D.C., to save us from terrorists in this city,” Riordan said, noting how L.A. officials didn’t find out about a plot to blow up a downtown building until six months after it was thwarted. The squads of federal screeners at the airports aside, he’s got a point. Washington can’t even dole out anti-terror funds on the basis of need, but still uses its standard political pork method to consistently shortchange L.A. and California. Based on that, Los Angeles must develop its own plan to be able to mobilize and protect itself without waiting for help from the East Coast. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECasino Insider: Here’s a look at San Manuel’s new high limit rooms, Asian restaurantlast_img read more