Shumlin calls on Entergy Vermont Yankee to protect Vermont’s aquifers

first_imgDear Mr. Colomb,As Governor-elect, the integrity of Vermont’s aquifer is of the highest concern to me. I respectfully request that Entergy return its extraction wells to service and repeat my earlier request to increase the number of wells to prevent tritiated water from entering Vermont’s precious and irreplaceable aquifers.  It appears that ENVY made the decision to arbitrarily terminate the process of extracting tritiated ground water from the Vermont Yankee site as soon as 300,000-gallons of water had been removed.  The tritium concentration level of the remaining on site tritiated water after the 300,000-gallon cutoff was never provided to justify that decision.  On February 25, 2010, ENVY also made the decision to close its Construction Office Building (COB) well, which had been leaking tritiated water  into the underlying aquifer. ENVY’s February press release stated that if the well continued to operate, there was a ‘small possibility’ that its operation would draw tritium into the aquifer and cause ‘cross contamination’.  Therefore, shutting down the COB well was an appropriate precaution to avoid contaminating the aquifer.However, the October 8, 2010 hydrological COB well test results showed that the tritiated water had indeed contaminated the COB well even though it had been shut down seven months earlier.  This October 2010 discovery suggests that the likelihood of cross contamination of the COB well water was more significant than ENVY engineers had estimated in February.  The evidence shows that cross contamination of bedrock has apparently been occurring even after the COB well was shut down.  At that time, I recommended that the extraction wells remain in operation and their number be increased to avoid contamination of our aquifer. On October 13, 2010, Dr. William Irvin with the State Department of Health said,   â ¦the 300,000- gallon mark shouldn’t be an end point for the extraction process. He said cold weather is an impediment, but Entergy should continue to pump and store tritiated water through the winter. Irwin described the ‘extraction’ wells as ‘critical.’â ¦ ‘(Entergy) should make an effort to continue the extraction as long as tritium is in the water,’ Irwin said.  (Vermont Digger)Yet despite my suggestion and Dr. Irwin’s recommendation that the extraction wells remain operational, ENVY went ahead and on November 18, 2010 shut down these vital water safety devices.  The following day Entergy detected 500,000 pCi/l of tritium near the COB well and at bedrock.  This high radioactive concentration near the COB well and at bedrock is a further indication that the aquifer may be in serious jeopardy of contamination from tritium and other radioactive isotopes.Furthermore, I have been informed that since detecting tritium at a depth of 220 feet in the COB well in October, Entergy has not taken any radiation samples from the bedrock or aquifer via the COB well.  The COB well is the only source of data about what is happening in the aquifer under the site, so I also respectfully request that additional samples be taken regularly to allow the State of Vermont and Entergy to ascertain if one of Vermont’s essential aquifers has been or is being contaminated by tritiated water from this newest expansion of the tritium plume.  I also request that a formal schedule of testing of water, Connecticut River fish, and on-site vegetation be conducted for tritium, strontium and cesium.None of these requests should take any extensive effort and I would anticipate that recommended actions could be completed by the end of the week.  I would hope you would support these actions which I believe are in the public interest.  I look forward to hearing from you and to a productive working relationship.Sincerely,Peter ShumlinGovernor-Elect Northstar Vermont Yankee,Governor-elect Peter Shumlin sent a letter to Entergy’s Vermont Yankee Site Vice President, Michael Colomb today. Shumlin requests in the letter that Entergy return its extraction wells to service and repeated his request to increase the number of wells to prevent contaminated water from harming Vermont’s aquifers.The complete letter follows: December 7, 2010Michael Colomb, Site Vice President320 Governor Hunt RdVernon, Vt05304CC: Gregory Jaczko,  NRC Chairmanlast_img read more


Gold Coast home fetches $2.6 million days before it was due to go under the hammer

first_imgThe water views can be enjoyed from almost every room in the house. Perfect for entertaining, especially during the warmer months. More from news02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa17 hours ago02:37Gold Coast property: Sovereign Islands mega mansion hits market with $16m price tag2 days agoThe main living areas are open plan.She said they didn’t want to risk missing out on the five-bedroom, five-bathroom home, where they wanted to retire, so made an offer on the spot.“They had a look in the morning then had a second look in the afternoon and made an offer,” Mrs Schmidt said.“We had a couple of interested parties (and) I’d say we probably had 20 groups though.”It sold within the third week of its auction campaign but has been on the market since October last year.Mrs Schmidt said prospective buyers liked the size of the 863sq m property as well as its waterfront position. Imagine watching sunsets from here.A SOVEREIGN Islands home has fetched $2.6 million days before it was scheduled to go under the hammer.An interstate couple bought the waterfront property at 40 The Sovereign Mile.Marketing agent Jeanette Schmidt, of Professionals Vertullo Real Estate, said they flew up from NSW to see it about a week before it was due to go to auction last Saturday. The perfect view. A bedroom fit for royalty. The indoor living area flows seamlessly outside. The kitchen is large and versatile.“The house is actually very deceiving in that it doesn’t look as big (as it is) from the outside,” Mrs Schmidt said.The home has multiple living areas, including a media room and upstairs children’s retreat, as well as a gym, outdoor entertainment area, pool and private courtyard.“There’s somewhere for everyone,” Mrs Schmidt said.There were several million-dollar sales on the Gold Coast last week.A hilltop home at Sanctuary Cove sold for $1.345 million on Friday while a Rainbow Bay apartment sold for $1.22 million and an Isle of Capri home sold for $1.201 million. The home has multiple living areas.last_img read more


Zenit seal Garcia signing

first_img The Spaniard underwent a medical with the Russian club, who are managed by former Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas, and has signed a four-year contract. City announced on their website: “Spanish midfielder Javi Garcia has left City to join Zenit St Petersburg on a permanent basis.” The proposed move, thought to be worth around £12million, ends a two-year spell at the Etihad Stadium for Garcia, who joined from Benfica for £15.8million. Playing for Villas-Boas made the prospect of a move to Zenit particularly appealing to Garcia. He told Zenit’s website: “I spoke to him on the phone several times. He is one of the main reasons why I came to St Petersburg. Andre talked a lot about the project of the club, and I believe that we can achieve a lot together.” Garcia, now 27, was signed by City under former manager Roberto Mancini but never became a regular starter for the Italian or his successor Manuel Pellegrini, and there seemed scant prospect of that changing in the new campaign. His departure follows the £10million exit of fellow midfielder Jack Rodwell to Sunderland earlier this month. City effectively have a replacement for Garcia in the squad having signed Fernando from Porto in June. Eliaquim Mangala, Willy Caballero, Frank Lampard, Bruno Zuculini and Bacary Sagna are the other new faces in the champions’ squad ahead of the new season. City begin the defence of their Barclays Premier League crown at Newcastle on Sunday. Press Association This week has also seen the key City pair of captain Vincent Kompany and playmaker David Silva sign new five-year contracts. Samir Nasri and Aleksandar Kolarov agreed fresh terms earlier this summer. Now striker Edin Dzeko, who is in the final year of his current deal, has suggested that he could be the next to re-sign. The 28-year-old, signed from Wolfsburg for £27million in 2011, has previously spoken of his desire to stay and now it seems negotiations with the club are progressing well. The Bosnia and Herzegovina international, who scored 26 goals last season, told German magazine Kicker: “We are currently talking about a new contract. “It looks very good in terms of staying here a bit longer. “I have been here for nearly four years now, and feel better and better. I will give my all to show what I can do. “The second half of last season was the best I had in my entire time here, and I want to draw on that. “I want to get better every year, to score even more goals. I am 28 – my best time is now.” Zenit St Petersburg have wrapped up the signing of midfielder Javi Garcia from Manchester City. last_img read more