Implications for internet An amicus brief filed by Netchoice, a trade group which includes Google, Facebook and Twitter, said a ban could have important implications for the global internet.”The government’s actions are unprecedented in scope,” the group said in its filing.A ban would “also create a dangerous precedent” for the open internet, the brief said.”The prohibition on any use of TikTok code by US developers for any purpose is effectively a ban on the building blocks of digital free expression.”The trade group said a TikTok ban may be cited by China or other countries “as justification for banning or restricting the activities of US internet businesses, including US-based social media platforms.”Earlier this month, Trump cited national security concerns and issued orders to ban both TikTok and the popular Chinese app WeChat, which has been put on hold in a separate court case in California.But the TikTok order stops short of a full ban until November 12, giving parent firm ByteDance time to conclude a deal to transfer ownership of the app.A tentative deal unveiled last weekend would make Silicon Valley giant Oracle the technology partner for TikTok and a stakeholder in a new entity to be known as TikTok Global. TikTok said Sunday it would “maintain our ongoing dialogue with the government” on the plan which got a preliminary approval last weekend from President Donald Trump.It was unclear if the deal would be approved by Beijing, where some consider the US move an unjustified appropriation of Chinese technology.Topics : “We will continue defending our rights for the benefit of our community and employees.”For the injunction, Nichols heard arguments on the free-speech and national security implications of the Trump ban on the Chinese-owned app in a rare Sunday telephone hearing.TikTok lawyer John Hall said a ban would be “punitive” and close off a public forum used by tens of millions of Americans.In a written brief filed ahead of the hearing, TikTok lawyers said the ban was “arbitrary and capricious” and “would undermine data security” by blocking updates and fixes to the app.The company also said the ban was unnecessary because negotiations were already underway to restructure the ownership of TikTok to address national security issues raised by the administration.Government lawyers argued the president has a right to take national security actions, and said the ban was needed because of TikTok’s links to the Chinese government through its parent firm ByteDance.A government brief called ByteDance “a mouthpiece” for the Chinese Communist Party and said it was “committed to promoting the CCP’s agenda and messaging.”After the judge’s order, the Commerce Department said in a statement it would comply with the injunction but “intends to vigorously defend the [executive order]… from legal challenges.”University of Richmond law school professor Carl Tobias called Sunday’s order “a pragmatic splitting of the baby for the short term, to give a little time for them to resolve the disputes and come to a resolution.”Tobias said an appeal is possible but that the legal teams may choose to “try to work out a resolution to the broader legal clash” with the judge. The Trump administration order had sought to ban new downloads of the app from midnight (0400 GMT Monday) but would allow use of TikTok until November 12, when all usage would be blocked. The judge denied TikTok’s request to suspend the November 12 ban.The decision represents a temporary win for TikTok, which has 100 million US users. But the court has yet to consider the merits of the legal arguments on whether the social platform should remain available to Americans.TikTok has argued that even a temporary ban would be devastating and cause the company irreparable harm by stunting its growth and hurting its commercial reputation.”We’re pleased that the court agreed with our legal arguments and issued an injunction,” TikTok said in a statement. TikTok won a last-minute reprieve late Sunday as a US federal judge halted enforcement of a politically charged ban ordered by the Trump administration on downloads of the popular video app, hours before it was set to take effect.District Judge Carl Nichols issued a temporary injunction at the request of TikTok, which the White House has called a national security threat stemming from its Chinese parent firm’s links to the Beijing government.The opinion was sealed, so no reason for the decision was released in a brief order by the court in Washington. The judge may unseal portions of the order after consulting with lawyers from both sides.
The government through the Minister of sports will ensure the smooth and uninterrupted operations of the SLFA.The Task-force also made further deliberation with the major football stakeholders in Sierra Leone Football and recommends that the FIFA member Association Committee should, establish without delay the timeframe for these activities.A review of the SLFA statutes and the implementation of the Code of Ethics.The date by which the SLFA Extraordinary Congress should be held. Wold football’s governing body, FIFA, has introduced a new peace plan at the end of a two-day visit to Sierra Leone in a bid to end the much publicised rift presently rocking football in the country.The local league in Sierra Leone has been on hold for three years under African football’s only woman FA president, Isha Johansen. Her reign has been marred by disputes with rival members as well as a power struggle that has been a permanent fixture since 2014 and one that got worse following the surprise postponement of the FA’s Congress in Makeni in 2015.After almost a year of the new intervention from FIFA, a mediation team from the association has unveiled numerous recommendations, after concluding its findings on Friday, so as to put an end to the ongoing crisis.In a communique made known by the task force, that includes the Minister of Sports Ahmed Khanou, the Chairman Taskforce Musa Bility, SLFA’s representative Drucil Taylor and Fifa Director of member Associations Veron Mosengo-Omba, the following decisions were reached:The SLFA should adopt the FIFA code of ethics, with FIFA supporting this process.The members of the judicial bodies elected on the 23rd March 2017 should undergo integrity checks conducted by FIFA as defined by FIFA Ethics Committee.An extraordinary congress to be held with two items to be discussed on the agenda (A) to adopt the new SLFA Code of Ethics (Based on FIFA code of Ethics), (B) to revise the SLFA statutes and include integrity checks requirements for potential candidates.Following the Extraordinary Congress, the SLFA shall organise Ordinary Congress in order to select their Electoral Board in preparation for the SLFA elections and to present any relevant statutory reports. The government of Sierra Leone through the Ministry of Sports undertakes to enforce its ban on betting on local football matches and to support any sanctions that may be taken by FIFA and SLFA against those who are found guilty of match-fixing. RelatedSierra Leone Kicked Out of AFCON 2019 QualifiersDecember 3, 2018In “AFCON”FIFA Ban Ex-Sierra Leone Captain And Three Others For LifeApril 25, 2019In “FIFA”FIFA Club World Cup Plans RevealedOctober 24, 2018In “FIFA” The Match-Fixing Commission should hand over to FIFA all files and evidence linked to match-fixing in Sierra Leone football. Fifa will then decide how to proceed. The date of the new SLFA Ordinary Congress and the date of the Elective Congress.Instruct the FIFA General Secretariat to be at the disposal of the FIFA’s Task Force so that the proposed solutions (such as the revision of the SLFA statutes and the integrity checks) can be implemented.Mandate the FIFA Member Association Division and the competent FIFA departments to propose immediately how the SLFA’s match fixing inquiry can be completed.instruct the FIFA general Secretary to accompany and support the Sierra Leone Football Association and the Sierra Leone towards the achievement of all the above-mentioned proposals.As earlier indicated by FIFA, Johansen will remain president until a new one is elected though her status as a presidential candidate is in doubt after charges were recently levelled against her by the anti-corruption body. The body also called for her to step down immediately alongside the FA’s secretary-general. She is expected to appear in court on October 30.Isah Johansen is a CAF executive committee member and holds positions in other committees of both the African body and FIFA.
Martin Keown has warned John Stones he will be making a big mistake if he joins Chelsea this summer.The defender is reportedly ready to hand in a transfer request to force through a move to Stamford Bridge after the Toffees rejected the Premier League champions’ latest £30million offer.But Keown, who made more than 100 appearances for Everton during his four-year stay on Merseyside, says the 21-year-old should stay put for another year at least for the good of his career.Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, the former England international said: “He should stay. He still needs to grow as a player and he needs to know he is number one choice.“I don’t think the [Chelsea] manager is completely stable at the moment, he is going through a really difficult period, and he is better staying at Everton for another season.“They adore him, the Evertonians. They got me in the England team because they were so supportive. He needs that warmth for at least another year for his development.“He still has things to work on. I don’t think he is superb from crosses, I don’t think he marks brilliantly, I want to see him being more commanding from set-pieces, and all that comes from being the leader in a group for a team like Everton and then maybe he moves to Chelsea.“He is going to be an outstanding player but I don’t get this massive rush. Just stay where you are and develop and do the job for Everton. It is a huge club there.”