UEFA sanction Russia over Crimea

first_imgUEFA will not recognize any Russian soccer matches involving teams from the disputed region of Crimea.The move was announced by European soccer’s governing body after the Football Federation of Ukraine (FFU) appealed to UEFA and FIFA for their Russian counterparts to be sanctioned over “illegally and arbitrarily” taking three of its teams.”The UEFA Emergency Panel has today decided that any football matches played by Crimean clubs in the context of competitions organized by the Russian Football Union (RFS) will not be recognized by UEFA until further notice,” read a statement released Friday. “In order for football to take place within an organized sporting and legal framework, such participation has to comply with the terms set out in the UEFA Statutes.”AnnexationSC Tavriya and FC Sevastopol both played in the Ukrainian Premier League last season and were allowed to continue until its conclusion. Their home games were hosted outside of Crimea due to security concerns.But when the season finished the three clubs were dissolved. Two were given new names — TSK Simferopol, SKChF Sevastopol and Zhemchuzhina Yalta — and entered in to Russian competition by the Russian Football Union, sparking protests from Ukraine. UEFA’s statutes does outlaw “combinations and alliances” of clubs from different associations but FIFA would only allow any such move if both the Russians and Ukrainians agreed to it.”Our strong position is that Ukrainian teams have to be in Ukrainian competition and there is no right for them to take part in Russia,” said Anatoliy Konkov, a former USSR national team who is now the president of the FFU, in an interview with the New York Times.”The clubs are still Ukrainian. Nobody gave them to Russia,” he added before explaining that the FFU had given no such permission for the move to take place.”Fall outThe geopolitical fall out from both the conflict in Ukraine and the MH17 plane disaster had already begun to engulf soccer. Several politicians, including British deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, had called on Russia to be stripped of the right to host the 2018 World Cup finals over its alleged role in supplying and arming the Russian speaking insurgents currently fighting government forces in the east of Ukraine.Crimea was also raised when FIFA president Sepp Blatter met Russian president Vladimir Putin last weekend to discuss preparations for the 2018 finals.”FIFA President Blatter also reiterated that FIFA will handle the ongoing matter concerning Crimean football clubs based on the relevant processes that should be overseen by the respective confederation (UEFA) in the first instance,” FIFA said in a statement.Russian fearsLeading figures in Russian soccer had allegedly voiced fears that the annexation of Crimea’s teams could lead to just such a political fallout. Last week Russian investigative magazine Novaya Gazeta published a transcript of a leaked recording from a meeting between top Russian soccer executives.The transcript of the meeting, which took place in July and lead to the vote which admitted the three Crimean teams into the Russian third division, appears to show discussions revealing how the vote may impact on Russian clubs playing in the UEFA Champions League.Others raise fears that the vote might even harm Russia’s hosting of the 2018 World Cup finals.”I have a club to support, ” Evgeny Giner, the president of CSKA Moscow, is alleged to have said. “And tomorrow they’ll pull us from 2018.”Forced hand The objections of the Ukrainian federation has forced UEFA to make the temporary sanction against Russia whilst working out what to do next. In the statement UEFA, rather hopefully, believes the two sides can come to an agreement on the status of Crimea’s soccer clubs.”The UEFA Emergency Panel has also requested that the UEFA administration, together with FIFA, facilitate discussions with the representatives of the RFS and the Football Federation of Ukraine (FFU) in order to find a common solution to this situation,” concluded UEFA’s statement.But any agreement would likely be seen as a huge PR coup for Russia’s annexation of Crimea, and appear highly unlikely.Both the Football Federation of Ukraine and the Russian Football Union have not replied to a request for comment by the time of publication.last_img read more


NBA fines Clippers $50,000 for Doc Rivers’ comments on Kawhi Leonard’s health

first_img What the Clippers are saying the day after Luka Doncic’s game-winner tied series, 2-2 Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error “It was shocking, but it doesn’t matter to me, you know what I mean? I’m not a guy who reads the media anyway,” Leonard said. “We’re gonna manage it the best way we can to keep me healthy and that’s the most important thing, me being healthy moving forward.”In his media address before Wednesday’s game, Clippers coach Doc Rivers told reporters that Leonard – who was was out with what was described on the Clippers’ injury report as “load management (knee)” – “feels great, but he feels great because of what we’ve been doing.”But as far as the league was concerned, the three-time All-Star missed the game (a 129-124 Clippers’ loss) because he was injured, not because he was resting.It was the disparity between the rationale that Rivers offered for Leonard’s absence and the medical reason that violated league rules, the NBA said in the release.“Following additional review of the L.A. Clippers not playing Kawhi Leonard in last night’s game against the Milwaukee Bucks, the NBA has confirmed that the team’s decision to sit Leonard for management of an injury was consistent with league rules. The team has reasonably determined that Leonard is suffering from an ongoing injury to the patella tendon in his left knee and has been placed by the team at this time on an injury protocol for back-to-back games.” Clippers hope they can play to their capabilities, quell Mavericks’ momentum For Lakers’ LeBron James, Jacob Blake’s shooting is bigger issue than a big Game 4 victory Leonard expressed disappointment in the league’s decision.“I mean, for me, I’m on (Rivers’) side, you know what I mean?” Leonard said. “I’m a Clipper, he’s my coach, so that’s just disappointing. It feels like they want players to play if they’re not ready, but it is what it is. Like I said, I don’t read into it, I gotta do what’s gonna make me healthy and is gonna help the team be successful, and that’s me being able to play basketball games for us.”Leonard – who is averaging 29 points, 8.1 rebounds, 5.4 assists and 2.1 steals – also missed the first game of a back-to-back set last week in Utah. The Clippers also lost that game, which also was broadcast nationally by ESPN.Those games off are helping him deal with the injury, he said.“I mean, it just helps just from me pushing on something that’s not ready,” said Leonard, who scored a game-high 27 points Thursday. “So we’re just gonna keep managing it, moving forward. I’m not a doctor, that’s for the doctors and my training staff is for, letting me know. (I) just tell them how I feel and like I said, just gotta keep moving forward.”Leonard played nine games in his final season with the San Antonio Spurs, in 2017-18, when he was suffering from a quadriceps injury. After being traded to Toronto the following offseason, Leonard stuck to a load management plan that kept him strategically sidelined for 22 of the Raptors’ games – and healthy enough for an extended playoff run that ended in the franchise’s first NBA title.After signing with the Clippers, both the team and Leonard indicated that he didn’t plan to adhere to as stringent a load management schedule this season.“It’s different this season,” Leonard said at media day. “Last year, I was going in with an injury that I was dealing with the year before still lingering, and we knew that I had to be healthy going throughout the season and making it to the playoffs. But this year I’m feeling good, feeling way better than I was at the start of last season. But there’s really no plan laid out yet.”Related Articlescenter_img LOS ANGELES — The NBA fined the Clippers $50,000 on Thursday for statements it deemed inconsistent with what the team reported to the league regarding Kawhi Leonard’s health, indicating in a news release “that Leonard is suffering from an ongoing injury to the patella tendon in his left knee.”The famously private superstar, who joined the Clippers in free agency this offseason, confirmed that he’s been dealing with an injury that will continue to keep him from playing both games when they’re scheduled back to back.“No. That’s not what the doctor’s prescribing right now,” he said after the Clippers’ 107-101 victory over the Portland Trail Blazers on Thursday at Staples Center. “That’s all I can say about it, we’re gonna manage it and just keep moving forward.”Leonard also said he was not pleased with the league’s decision to reveal the nature of his injury. Clippers vs. Mavericks Game 5 playoff updates from NBA beat reporters Kristaps Porzingis ruled out as Clippers, Mavericks set for Game 5; Follow for game updates Leonard missed two of the team’s first eight games.Meeting again with the media before Thursday’s game against the Portland Trail Blazers – for which Leonard was in the lineup – Rivers was determined not to delve deeply back into the issue, saying he was “scared” even to answer questions related to load management. He also was careful about his response to the fine.“I think we said it all,” Rivers said. “I’m not getting into it, so no is the answer. What we said, we said, and whatever the release was, which I haven’t seen, is the release.”“Yeah, you’re always disappointed (in a fine),” Rivers added. “Sometimes you agree with a fine, sometimes you don’t. Doesn’t matter, that’s the one thing I’ve learned.”The league also fined the Clippers $50,000 for violating tampering following Rivers’ comments during last season’s playoffs, when the coach appeared in an ESPN special and compared Leonard with Michael Jordan, calling the Clipper-to-be “the most like Jordan we’ve seen.”last_img read more


Govt flouts regulations to finance Linden Hospital

first_imgThe Audit Office has recommended that the Finance Ministry take a definite decision and action toward regularising the status of the Linden Hospital Complex (LHC) since it is operating as an autonomous body, while still receiving funding from the Public Health Ministry as though it is a “department.”The Linden Hospital ComplexDuring 2015, the Public Health Ministry transferred to the LHC amounts totalling $261.129 million from its current provisions. The sum was to have met the operational costs of the hospital. However, the operation of the current appropriation to fund the hospital was questioned since funding for that entity was included under a programme in the budget of the ministry, as though it was a department, while funding was disbursed as if it was a subvention agency under the ministry, the Auditor General’s Report disclosed.It stated that the Linden Hospital Complex was approved by Cabinet decision dated November 24, 2015 to function as a board during the period of December 1, 2015 to November 30, 2016. It was highlighted that the Complex was not an autonomous or semi-autonomous body regulated under an Act of Parliament and that it was managed by a Board of Directors and was not required to provide the ministry with financial or other reports that would indicate that some form of ministerial supervision was exercised over its processes.Nevertheless, the report indicated that it was explained by the Head of the Budget Agency, that the hospital provides receipts and statements to cover all expenditures incurred to the ministry.Therefore, the Report suggested that the ministry take affirmative action to discuss this matter with the subject minister and, if necessary, the Office of the Budget of the Ministry of Finance, with a view to having definite decisions and actions toward regularising the status of LHC.Additionally, during 2015, audit checks the hospital revealed a number of other discrepancies; examination of the payroll and other related documents revealed that pay change directives for the termination of employment in respect of one employee was forwarded late to the Central Accounting Unit of the hospital, as a result, the employee was overpaid; the Stores Regulation require that a master inventory be maintained, however, the hospital has not adhere with this requirement, since this record was not maintained for the period under review; and log books presented for audits were not properly maintained to reflect the signature of the authorising officer for the journeys undertaken. As a result it could not be ascertained whether proper control was exercised over the use of the complex’s fleet of vehicles.The Report noted that the ministry acknowledged that overpayment of salaries is an issue but stated that they are trying to retrieve money.The Audit Office recommended that action be taken to recover the overpaid money, put systems in place to ensure that all records are maintained, as required by Store Regulation 1993, and present all outstanding documents for audit examination.last_img read more


Chief Prosecutor calls for corruption probe of lawmaker

first_imgNo related posts. Costa Rican Chief Prosecutor Jorge Chavarría ordered Wednesday evening a raid at the office of Presidency Minister Carlos Ricardo Benavides, whose computer was confiscated in an ongoing investigation of alleged influence peddling.Officials are looking for information on a request sent by Social Christian Unity Party lawmaker Walter Céspedes, who allegedly asked Benavides for jobs for a friend and two nieces.Céspedes said the minister “neither responded to the email or helped him get the jobs,” but at least one of his nieces was hired as a janitor at the Education Ministry, the daily La Nación reported.A second investigation is being carried out by the Attorney General’s Office for an alleged violation of the Law Against Illicit Enrichment and Corruption.In Costa Rica influence peddling is a crime punishable by 2-5 years in prison. Facebook Commentslast_img read more