Betancourt’s Jailer Pleads Not Guilty on Drug-Trafficking Charges in the U.S.

first_imgBy Dialogo July 20, 2009 Washington, July 17 (EFE).- Today FARC guerrilla Gerardo Antonio Aguilar Ramírez, alias “Cesar,” one of the “jailers” of Ingrid Betancourt and three Americans rescued in July 2008, pleaded “not guilty” to the drug-trafficking charges of which he is accused in the United States. “Cesar,” who was extradited from Bogotá yesterday, appeared before a federal judge in Washington in a hearing attended by Marc Gonsalves, one of the three Americans who were kidnapped in the Colombian jungle for five years. Through his lawyer, Carmen Hernández, the guerrilla pled “not guilty” to the drug-trafficking and money-laundering charges of which he is accused in the United States, while the lawyer recalled that in this case her client is being judged “in a drug-trafficking case, not a kidnapping case.” Nevertheless, prosecutor Eric Snyder pointed out that Marc Gonsalves, Thomas Howes, and Keith Stansell, the three Americans kidnapped by the FARC and freed in Operation Jaque together with Betancourt and eleven other hostages, were carrying out a mission in the fight against drug trafficking when they were kidnapped, thereby attempting to demonstrate that the FARC were impeding law-enforcement action against drug trafficking. Throughout the entire hearing, Gonsalves, who was present as a spectator, never took his eyes off the man on whom he fixed his gaze when he entered the courtroom dressed in the orange jumpsuit worn by prisoners in U.S. jails and with his hands cuffed. “He’s in handcuffs, but he has better conditions in jail than they gave us there,” he told a group of reporters after the hearing. Gonsalves said that he is not seeking “revenge,” but that he wants “Cesar” to go to jail because he thinks that he “does not believe in freedom, and he would go back to the jungle to do the same thing he did to me, or worse.” The Washington Federal District Court judge, Thomas F. Hogan, scheduled a follow-up hearing for July 30; in the meantime the defendant will remain in the D.C. jail, known for its harsh conditions.last_img read more


Marvellous result for mighty Moore

first_img Ballydoyle number one jockey Joseph O’Brien opted to partner eventual fifth Palace, allowing the all-conquering Moore to team up with the 10-1 chance, who was running for only the third time having finished sixth in the Leopardstown trial on March 30. The Olly Stevens-trained Lightning Thunder, narrowly beaten by Miss France in the Newmarket equivalent, went off the 100-30 favourite and led going into the final furlong, but she could not cope with the winner’s late surge and went down by three lengths. Ryan Moore was full of praise for Marvellous after the Aidan O’Brien-trained filly provided the jockey with a first victory in the Etihad Airways Irish 1,000 Guineas at the Curragh. Another Ballydoyle contender, Wonderfully, made the running and Marvellous still had plenty of work to do when Harry Bentley swept to the lead with a couple of furlongs remaining on the market leader, but her stamina came into the equation as O’Brien captured the prize for the sixth time in his career. James Doyle, who won Saturday’s Irish 2,000 Guineas on Kingman, finished third aboard the Dermot Weld-trained Vote Often. Moore said: “You have to be very pleased, it was only her third run, in deep ground. She was drawn towards the outside and was a long way back. She had to do it the hard way, she passed nearly the whole field and you’d have to say it was a really good performance. “I was taken off my feet after a furlong and couldn’t really hold my spot. When I asked her, she picked up, I think she was just pretty inexperienced during the race. She should get further but you never know with these things. I’m sure she’d be a better filly on nicer ground.” O’Brien added: ” She handled this sort of ground when she won her maiden at Navan last year. She then had the one run this year at Leopardstown and had a bit of a break after that as, like a lot of mine, she was coughing a bit. “Joseph had a tough choice and he knew it was a close call, but at declaration time we didn’t think it was going to get as soft as this. “With Marvellous, the plan was to come here and then on to Epsom. You’d have to say she’d definitely get a mile and a quarter the way she ran to the line. She’s a nice, compact filly and I don’t think she’d have any problems handling Epsom.” The man who calls the shots is part-owner John Magnier, who said: “Aidan fancied her. In fact, I think he even asked Joseph to ride her and Joseph picked the other one. “Her pedigree would indicate there’s could be more to come to come, she’s out of a sister to Giant’s Causeway who won the Cherry Hinton. She’s really well bred and probably bred to get a mile and a half. We’ll have to listen to what they all say over the next few days, but I couldn’t see any reason why not (run in the Oaks) if all goes well.” center_img Press Associationlast_img read more


Brian Dozier’s dizzy spell turns out to be a false alarm for Dodgers

first_img“That’s when I called it quits for the night. I guess the protocol is to do an EKG.”Sign up for our Inside the Dodgers newsletter. Be the best Dodger fan you can be by getting daily intel on your favorite team. Subscribe here.Dozier said he had experienced irregular heartbeats all his life, so the EKG result did not cause him to worry. But he had never taken Zyrtec, the brand name of an antihistamine drug. According to the manufacturer’s website, some kinds of Zyrtec contain pseudoephedrine, a stimulant, whose side effects include possible dizziness.“No more Zyrtec for me,” Dozier said.The veteran second baseman said the dizziness lifted once he came out of the game.Coincidentally, Dodgers closer Kenley Jansen was hospitalized with a more serious heart issue last Thursday in Colorado. This one, however, was merely a false alarm. How Dodgers pitcher Ross Stripling topped the baseball podcast empire LOS ANGELES — Heart problems are nothing to sneeze at, but it turns out Brian Dozier’s dizzy spell Monday night was not serious.Dozier was removed after the eighth inning of Monday night’s loss to the San Francisco Giants. A subsequent EKG test, which measures heart activity, produced an abnormal result.On Tuesday, Dozier was back in the leadoff spot and able to laugh about the whole incident.“Coming from Colorado (on Sunday), I had a lot of sinus issues, sickness feelings,” he said. “I took a Zyrtec before the game. I don’t take any kind of stimulant … coffee, I don’t do that stuff. Apparently (Zyrtec) has a little bit in it, which caught up to me in the sixth or seventh inning. I became very, very dizzy. Cody Bellinger homer gives Dodgers their first walkoff win of season Dodgers hit seven home runs, sweep Colorado Rockies Fire danger is on Dave Roberts’ mind as Dodgers head to San Francisco Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Dodgers’ Max Muncy trying to work his way out of slow start INJURY UPDATESPitcher John Axford was placed on the 10-day disabled list to make room for Tuesday’s starting pitcher, Alex Wood. Axford suffered a slight break on the tip of his right fibula Sunday in Colorado when he was struck by a ground ball. Roberts estimated Axford’s recovery time at 2-3 weeks.Jansen is still wearing a wireless heart monitor around his chest, five days after he suffered an atrial fibrillation. He ran sprints and walked the Dodger Stadium warning track, where he usually does his pregame conditioning run.Jansen said a hitter would stand in the batter’s box but not swing during his scheduled bullpen session on Wednesday.Right-hander Daniel Hudson (right forearm tightness) threw a brief simulated game at Dodger Stadium on Tuesday.Julio Urías will make his next rehabilitation start Wednesday for Class-A Rancho Cucamonga. Roberts said Urías will pitch two complete innings, then face one batter in the third.Chase Utley (left wrist inflammation) faced live pitching prior to Tuesday’s game. He and Max Muncy each got several at-bats against minor league pitcher Hunter Speer, a 23-year-old right-hander whom the Dodgers selected in the June draft.JARRIN RECOGNIZEDThe Southern California Sports Broadcasters organization announced that Spanish-language Dodgers announcer Jaime Jarrin will become the third recipient of its Vin Scully Lifetime Achievement Award at the SCSB’s annual awards luncheon, scheduled for Jan. 28, 2019.Jarrin, 82, began announcing Dodger games in Spanish in 1959. He became the longest-tenured announcer in major league baseball when Scully retired in 2017 after 67 seasons with the Dodgers.ALSOJoc Pederson will bat against a different minor league pitcher prior to Wednesday’s game, Roberts said. The Dodgers’ left-handed batters, including Pederson and Muncy, are getting relatively few starts this week by design. … After facing southpaw Derek Holland on Wednesday, the Dodgers are scheduled to face left-handed pitchers Friday (Wade LeBlanc) and Sunday (Marco Gonzales) in Seattle.UP NEXTDodgers (LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu, 3-0, 2.12 ERA) vs. Giants (LHP Derek Holland, 6-8, 3.97 ERA), Wednesday, 7 p.m., KTLA/5, SportsNet LA (where available), MLB Network (out of market only)Staff Writer Bill Plunkett contributed to this report.Related Articleslast_img read more