US, UK troops among 3 dead in Iraq rocket attack: US official

first_imgIran retaliated by launching a volley of missiles at an Iraqi base hosting US soldiers days later.The US leads an international coalition — comprised of dozens of countries and thousands of soldiers — formed in Iraq in 2014 to confront the Islamic State, a jihadist group that Baghdad declared defeated in late 2017. While IS has lost its territory, sleeper cells remain capable of carrying out attacks.The Iraqi parliament voted to expel all foreign soldiers from the country in the wake of the killing of Soleimani, a decision that must be executed by the government. The outgoing government, which resigned in December in the face of mass protests, has yet to be replaced due to a lack of agreement in parliament — one of the most divided in Iraq’s recent history. Topics : An American soldier and a British soldier, as well as one US contractor, were killed Wednesday when rockets hit an Iraqi military base north of Baghdad, a US military official said.It was the deadliest attack on an installation hosting foreign troops in several years and comes after a spate of rocket attacks targeting US troops across Iraq as well as the US embassy in Baghdad. There was no immediate claim of responsibility but Washington has blamed Iran-backed factions for similar attacks. The Iraqi army had earlier said the attack against the Taji base did not wound anyone or cause any damage, in what was the 22nd attack against American military interests in the country since late October.Previous rocket attacks targeting US soldiers, diplomats and facilities in Iraq in recent months have killed one US contractor and an Iraqi soldier. Two days after the death of an American in rockets fired on an Iraqi military base in Kirkuk at the end of last year, the US army hit five bases in Iraq and Syria used by the pro-Iran armed faction Kataeb Hezbollah.Tensions then rose further between arch foes Washington and Tehran, leading to the assassination in Baghdad on January 3 of the powerful Iranian military commander Qasem Soleimani and an Iraqi paramilitary commander in a US drone strike. last_img read more


Landmark home being offered at a $300,000 discount

first_imgFormer Fone Zone CEO David McMahon with his wife Tracey have slashed the asking price for their historic Hamilton Hill to less than what they paid 18-months ago. Photo: Lyndon MechielsenAs beautiful homes go, Cremorne, located at 34 Mullens St, Hamilton, would top the list for some Brisbane-property watchers, but it’s proving a tough sell for its owners.“Cremorne” at 34 Mullens Street, Hamilton is a landmark colonial property.Fone Zone co-founder David McMahon and wife, Jane, have been looking to offload their circa 1905 home since September 2016, and have just slashed the asking price to $6,350,000.That’s $25,000 less than the McMahons paid in December 2015, according to CoreLogic records.A move to Aspen, Colarado has prompted the couple to reduce their price, according to Place Bulimba managing director, Sarah Hackett.Cremorne sits high on Hamilton Hill with stunning 180 degree river and city views from its a 2435sq m allotment.The home’s position provides picture-book views.More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home3 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor3 hours agoThe award-winning, two-level home is a classic colonial that was extensively renovated, including a heritage approved pavilion extension.Cremorne has been extensively renovated, including a contemporary extension. Photo: Lyndon Mechielsen“Receiving the 2009 State Residential Architecture Houses Award its exquisite internal features include stained glass windows, 13 foot high ceilings, three fireplaces, chandeliers and polished timber flooring,” according to its agent’s listing.Immaculate finishes throughout the formal and informal areas are part of the home’s rich history according to the agent. Photo: Lyndon MechielsenThe home included five-bedrooms, four-bathrooms, formal and informal living spaces as well as a 3000-bottle wine cellar, gym and media room.UNBELIEVABLE ASKING PRICE FOR THIS SUNNYBANK PROPERTYOutdoor entertaining feeds onto a swimming pool and landscaped gardens.Cremorne is a marriage of colonial and contemporary living. Photo: Lyndon MechielsenRiverfront commuters on Kingsford Smith Dve can spot the home’s landmark front verandah with double-rotunda profile.Follow Kieran Clair on Twitter at @kieranclairlast_img read more


Family First launches High Court appeal against being stripped of charitable status

first_imgStuff co.nz 26 September 2017Family First Comment: Hold your horses, Charities Board!Controversial conservative lobby group Family First is appealing against being stripped of its charitable status by the Charities Registration Board.The board’s decision was made public in August. It was the second time it had tried to deregister the group.“Family First will appeal this decision as far as we need to because of the threat it places on us and other charities and their freedom to speak and advocate on behalf of their supporters in a civil society,” national director Bob McCoskrie said in a statement on Tuesday.The group has lodged an appeal in the High Court at Wellington to fight the deregistration.McCoskrie said the group had also successfully applied for an order that the board be restrained from deregistering the group until the appeal was heard.The board can direct charities to be removed from its register when they do not advance a charitable purpose for the public benefit and it is in the public interest to remove them.The group promotes traditional family values, is anti-abortion and considers marriage to be only between a man and a woman.“The board considers that Family First has a purpose to promote its own particular views about marriage and the traditional family that cannot be determined to be for the public benefit in a way previously accepted as charitable,” a statement from the board last month read.In 2013, the board made the decision to remove the group from the Charities Register because it did not advance exclusively charitable purposes.Family First appealed against that decision to the High Court.In June 2015, the High Court directed the board to reconsider its decision in light of the 2014 Supreme Court Greenpeace judgment and its own judgment.https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/97276959/family-first-launches-high-court-appeal-against-being-stripped-of-charitable-statuslast_img read more