Secretary of State Deb Markowitz announced today that the Redstone offices of the Vermont State Archives and Records Administration (VSARA) will be moving to the record center on Route 2 in Middlesex. The move, which will occur during the week of March 9th, is part of an ongoing effort to consolidate and improve the services of VSARA. Last year the legislature passed a law that transferred the functions of the Public Records Division to the Archives Division of the Secretary of State s Office, said Markowitz. This creates a single, professional voice for advising agencies on the management of their records from point of creation to final disposition, thus increasing efficiency and improving service.During this transition, some disruption in services is anticipated. On March 9th and 10th, limited notary and administrative procedure act services will be available at Redstone, but the reference room will be closed. The Middlesex vital records services will be open on a limited basis on the 9th and 10th. Both operations will be closed from Wednesday, March 11th until Monday, March 16th. Certain records, including legislative committee, gubernatorial, surveyor general, and Manuscript Vermont State Papers records will remain at Redstone until new vault facilities are completed at Middlesex. These records are available for review by appointment only by calling (802) 828-2308.For more information about the services provided by the Vermont State Archives and Records Administration, visit our website at http://vermont-archives.org/(link is external)Source: Vermont Secretary of State
May 16, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – Nine people have died in the Republic of Congo from a hemorrhagic disease that authorities are describing as “Ebola-like,” and at least another 52 people who had contact with the victims are being monitored, according to news reports today.The prelude to the cluster of deaths follows a plot that could be lifted from past Ebola outbreaks. A hunting party from Itoumbi and Mbomo districts, several hundred kilometers north of Brazzaville, the capital, encountered a dead monkey and ate it, according to Alphonse Gando, the Congo Republic’s minister of health, as reported by Agence France-Presse (AFP) on May 12.Ebola is a highly contagious filovirus that can cause a gruesome death following hemorrhaging and is lethal in 50% to 90% of cases. Although there is no treatment and little is understood about its animal reservoir, contact with primates has been known to precipitate human outbreaks. The Congo Republic and neighboring Gabon have had several Ebola outbreaks, which have killed about 360 people since 1994, AFP reported.”We don’t have lab confirmation yet, but it has all the features of an Ebola outbreak,” said Dick Thompson, a World Health Organization spokesman, as quoted in a New York Times story today.Congo Republic health officials have moved quickly since the outbreak began in late April to investigate and stop the spread of the disease, according to the Times. This may indicate the country is learning how to cope with such outbreaks, Thompson told the newspaper.In nearby Angola, authorities are still struggling with the deadliest known outbreak of a similar hemorrhagic disease caused by the Marburg virus. New cases were still being reported, Reuters news service reported today, despite repeated announcements from local authorities that the outbreak was coming under control.”The outbreak is not over,” Aphaluck Bhatiasevi of the WHO told Reuters. The death toll stood at 292, with 336 known cases, Reuters reported. WHO numbers reported May 11 were lower: 316 known cases and 276 deaths.Authorities seemed most concerned about the appearance of apparently unrelated cases. “We’ve seen new cases in new municipalities that don’t have obvious links to earlier cases of Marburg,” Bhatiasevi said. “We are trying to do as much tracing as possible.”Preventing the spread of Marburg as a byproduct of certain traditional practices, particularly cleaning the dead before burial, continues to be a challenge for healthcare workers, Jose Van Dunem, a deputy health minister, told Reuters. Six traditional healers have died, but others are beginning to change their habits, he added.See also:May 13 WHO statement on Congo Republic outbreakhttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2005_05_13/en/index.htmlMay 11 WHO statement on Marburg outbreak in Angolahttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2005_05_11/en/index.html
Florida health officials have announced they are deploying three field hospitals across the state in order to fight the coronavirus.Emergency Management Director Jared Moskowitz said Tuesday night via email that one field hospital is currently being staged in Orlando, while the other two are being sent to Broward County and Ocala.The news comes as the number of people infected with COVID-19 in Florida rises to 314 cases, with six deaths reported.The third field hospital will be set up in Ocala, north of Orlando, and moved elsewhere as needed.Mobile COVID-19 testing is also being implemented in Broward, and the National Guard has been deployed to assist there.Moskowitz added that he is working with federal officials to determine whether the state can add U.S. Navy Mercy-class hospital ships at Florida’s ports.State officials also said they are responding quickly to cases being reported at assisted living communities in an attempt to prevent an outbreak similar to one that occurred at a Seattle-area nursing home, which has been linked to more than two dozen COVID-19 deaths.“If a cluster of confirmed cases were to be discovered in Florida, the department would move quickly to engage with and isolate any infected individuals to prevent further spread,” said Alberto Moscoso, the state health department’s spokesman.
Photo courtesy: Harlequin Productions“Waiting for Godot”“Midsummer Night’s Dream”“Taming of the Shrew”“Stardust for Emily-Jean”“Elephant Man”“Dracula”“The Tempest”“Antony and Cleopatra”“Hamlet”“As You Like It”Call the Box Office at 360-786-0151 or stop by at 202 4th Ave. E in downtown Olympia to get your tickets for the Magical Mystery Midsummer Musical, running now through July 21, 2018. Visit www.harlequinproductions.org for more information. Facebook60Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Rebekah Finn for Harlequin ProductionsThis summer, Harlequin Productions is celebrating the accomplishments of rock musician and musical director extraordinaire, Bruce Whitney, with an original musical production, Magical Mystery Midsummer Musical. Bruce has been writing original scores and songs for live theater ever since his sister-in-law, Linda Whitney, asked him to compose some music for a modern-dress production of Macbeth in 1988. His involvement at Harlequin expanded to include directing and performing onstage as well, most notably as his recurring Stardust role of band leader Nikolai Feyodorov.Photo courtesy: Harlequin Productions“As of August, it will be exactly 30 years since Bruce started working in theater,” says Linda.The majority of his theatrical work has been creating scores for Shakespeare productions, many of which were originally intended to include musical numbers.“There are a lot of songs in those plays, but of course the music has been long-gone, so you can either perform those segments as straight text or you can put them to music,” explains Linda. “So, on a number of occasions that’s what we chose to do with Bruce’s help.”Sometimes the music that Bruce wrote, as with Harlequin’s 2017 production of Cymbeline, was an underscore to the text and action, providing the thematic overlay and stylistic connection between scenes. In most of those cases, the music was pre-recorded and used as one of many components to tie together the story.In this summer’s retrospective musical, Bruce’s work is given the spotlight.“What I wanted to do is share the music that never gets heard again—stuff that was composed for a show, has its run, and then goes away in the archive. There aren’t opportunities to hear it again, and yet the songs are quite beautiful and deserve to be enjoyed,” says Linda. “It’s also a chance to hear the music live, because most of it was used before in playback and heard digitally.”What Linda and the whole cast and crew have come up with is a bit of a variety show, full of all kinds of colorful activities: singing, dancing, acrobatics, slapstick comedy, puppets, props, tricks and illusions, all woven together with Bruce’s beautiful music.Photo courtesy: Harlequin Productions“The segments relate to the content of the material, but we’re not trying to re-stage any scenes,” explains Linda. “It relates thematically, but we’re not re-enacting.”Instead, the cast is made up of a core of vocalists that includes Christie Oldright, Bruce Haasl, Amy Shephard, and Mari Nelson for whom some of the songs were originally written. Additionally, a group of clownish dancing characters including Elex Hill, Maggie and Christian Doyle, and two mesmerizing aerialists, Marlo Winter and Eric Sanford.You won’t see any red noses or curly wigs here, as this is a European or Vaudeville-style clown troupe with corsets, vests, tutus, hats, and intricate (but not frightening) makeup. The style pays homage to the European circuses of the Middle Ages that were pulled together with whatever pieces of clothing the performers could get their hands on.“I feel like the clown princess of Marie Antionette’s court,” says cast member Amy Shephard of her costume.The show overall has a sense of decadence and sumptuousness. The use of fabric props of various forms combined with lighting effects that recall the elements of nature, really enhance the musical numbers to ignite the audience’s imagination. The eight-person musical ensemble onstage provides the live soundtrack, including fabulous solo performances, which are able to transport the audience to wonderfully imaginary places. Add in aerial acrobats and animals dancing across the stage (some real, some fabricated), and you are truly transported to other worlds.If you’re a long-time Harlequin supporter, you’ll hear some familiar tunes from these past shows:
A ceremony hosted by the Monmouth County Park System at the Mount Mitchill Scenic Overlook 9/11 Memorial is one of a few memorial tributes being held around the county this year on the 17th anniversary of the terrorist attacks. Photo courtesy MCPSAtlantic Highlands |Monmouth County Park System will host its annual 9/11 Memorial Ceremony at 8 a.m. Sept. 11 at Mount Mitchill Scenic Overlook.Held at the site of the county’s 9/11 Memorial, the ceremony honors those who lost their lives that day. All are welcome to attend. The event is rain or shine.Monmouth County’s 9/11 Memorial is a tribute to 147 Monmouth County men and women who lost their lives in the terrorist attacks in 2001.Mount Mitchell Scenic Overlook will remain open until 11 p.m. Sunday-Tuesday, Sept. 9-11, to provide additional opportunities to visit the 9/11 Memorial.460 Ocean Boulevard, monmouthcountyparks.comHolmdelMayor Tom Critelli and the Township Committee invite all residents to visit the Holmdel Township 9/11 Memorial at Town Hall Sept. 11 to honor the victims of the 2001 events.All day the township will offer patrons flowers and American flags to display around the Upturned Hands sculpture in an act of remembrance, reflection and respect for those lost.Holmdel’s 9/11 memorial, designed by artist and resident Kyle Galante, stands 9 feet tall by 11 feet wide and is composed of 90,000 pounds of black granite. Etched into the sidewalk that encircles the sculpture is a depiction of the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. The flight numbers of the four planes that were hijacked are etched into the sculpture’s base. The memorial also includes an etching of the World Financial District on its front by artist Philip Hagopian.The shield insignias of the fire department, police department, emergency medical services, and Port Authority are inscribed next to the names of the victims, and the family members of those lost chose the words “freedom, faith, hope, love, family, and unity” to emblazon the granite that surrounds the upturned hands.4 Crawfords Corner Road, holmdelrec.comMiddletownMiddletown will remember 9/11 at the World Trade Center Memorial Gardens, adjacent to the Middletown Arts Center, from 7:30 to 7:45 p.m. Sept. 11. Observe a moment of silence and simple wreath tribute to honor the 37 Middletown residents lost in the World Trade Center attack. Please bring a candle. Parking is available in the Middletown train station parking lot. Rain or shine.36 Church St., middletownnj.org
Teams play home-and-away within the Conference with the remaining games in the 52-contest schedule played within the division.Saturday the other items on the agenda will be covered.One of those items is a report from the Nelson Leafs on progress of the 2014 Cyclone Taylor Cup.Nelson plays host to the B.C. Championship April 10-13, 2014.If necessary, any unfinished business is handled Sunday morning.New coaches for new seasonThe coaching carousel had begun with a couple of changes behind the bench in the Kootenay Conferene.After taking Castlegar to the 2013 KIJHL title, Steve Junker has resigned his position with the Rebels and is being replaced by assistant Jessie Dorrans.Meanwhile, in Fernie, former Princeton boss Dale Hladun, aka, Duner, has signed on as the Ghostriders new coach and GM.Two Rebels go off to collegeCastlegar lost of pair of key players off the 2013 KIJHL roster when goalie Jordan Gluck and defenceman Erik Alden signed letters with the Arizona State SunDevil’s- Division 1 team and Adrian College Bulldogs in Adrian Michigan, respectively.Leafs goes to howling to WolfpackThompson Rivers GM Chris Hans and head coach Don Schulz are pleased to announce that a second member of the Maple Leafs from 2012-13 has agreed to join the BC Intercollegiate Hockey League club in September.Colton Schell, a 5’11” forward from New Westminster, BC is the WolfPack’s 12th recruit committed for the coming season. The former Nelson Leafs captain will be enrolled in the Police and Justice studies course at Thompson Rivers.Schell joins teammate Cam Weir at the Kamloops-based University. Discipline is the key item on the agenda as the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League brain trust holds its annual general meeting beginning Friday at the Hume Hotel in Nelson.“We’re going to be talking a lot about supplemental discipline,” said KIJHL president Bill Ohlhausen from the league office in Okanagan Falls.“As you know Hockey Canada coming down hard on penalties like checking to the head and checking from behind. So we’ll be addressing those issues during the meeting.”Ohlhausen said each Junior B League in the province has had different ways of dealing with these types of penalties.Now the Junior B Director from the province, a la like Brendan Shanahan of the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety, will be the sole person to determine final suspensions or penalties.“We’re going to streamline all of the discipline handled by three leagues in BC to one,” Ohlhausen explained. “The playing rules are all the same now. Refereeing in all of the leagues will be called the same . . . everything be the same.”The one-fight rule continues in Junior B Hockey.However, players fighting more than twice will receive suspensions for each additional tussle.Other items on the agenda include welcoming the newest team to the fold, the 100 Mile House Wranglers.The Wranglers, formerly the Pentiction Lakers, join Kamloops Storm, Revelstoke Grizzlies, Sicamous Eagles and Chase Heat in the Doug Birks Division.Friday governors take to the golf course for a relaxing start to the meetings before hitting the boardroom to hammer out the 2013-2014 schedule.This season the Neil Murdoch Division — Nelson Leafs, Beaver Valley Nitehawks, defending KIJHL Champion Castlegar Rebels, Spokane Braves and Grand Forks Border Bruins — will play a home-and-away series against the Okanagan Division — Kelowna, Summerland, Osoyoos, Princeton and former North Okanagan while the Eddie Mountain teams cross over to the Doug Birks.
NOTES: The winning owner, Kaleem Shah is from San Diego, CA. MARK GLATT, TRAINER LAW ABIDIN CITIZEN, SECOND: “I’m really pleased with his race, especially because he just ran two weeks ago. I probably wouldn’t have looked at this race if it wasn’t a short field. This was just an honest effort today. He (Jamie Theriot) had to move a little early down the backside because we were inside. He’s run three really good races since we gelded him (Nov. 26) and I think he’ll stretch out to a mile, no problem.” TRAINER QUOTES FLAVIEN PRAT, ILIAD, WINNER: “It was a very lucky pick up mount. He’s a very nice horse. He broke well. Actually, he showed a lot of speed today. We were going pretty fast and I was trying to relax him all the way down the backside.“When I asked him, he performed so well.” JOCKEY QUOTES KALEEM SHAH, OWNER OF ILIAD, WINNER: “His last breeze was awesome. I talked with Doug and he had a lot of confidence that he’d run well today and he ran to his works.“We can all hope and pray for horses like this. I’m glad Iliad came along. I hope he continues to move forward. It’s one race at a time in this business, but it looks very promising for now.“I was looking for a great name just like Bayern, which represented a great soccer team. This one, Iliad, represents a great western classic in literature.“I think we stay here and try to run in the San Felipe (Grade II, 1 1/16 miles, March 11) and then hopefully, the Santa Anita Derby (Grade I, 1 1/8 miles April 8).” DOUG O’NEILL, ILIAD, WINNER: “He’s a really nice horse, he has a lot of class. He ran huge today. We’ve just tried to not screw him up. Flavien rode a great race today and got it done.“Going seven eighths can be a grind if you break real sharp and try to run all the way (on the lead). Flavien knew what to do and did a great job.”