Ugandan authorities gag media in run-up to presidential election

first_imgPicture : Catherine Byaruhanga© BBC January 13, 2021 Find out more UgandaAfrica RSF_en Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information News Ugandan president threatens to “bankrupt” leading daily UgandaAfrica News Follow the news on Uganda In the latest incident, a BBC crew was held for four hours at a police station in the northern town of Abim on 6 February after filming a public hospital from the road. The police arrested Catherine Byaruhanga, the BBC’s Uganda correspondent, cameraman Kelvin Brown and Sam Lawino, a local journalist acting as their fixer, after they refused to comply with orders to delete their video footage.The local police commissioner told RSF that they did not have the permits needed to film public health installations, and that they had posed as health ministry employees. They were released thanks to the personal intervention of Inspector General of Police Kale Kayihura, who was alerted by several journalists. The hospital was the subject of controversy a few months ago when an opposition presidential candidate, Dr. Kizza Besigye, visited it with journalists. Interviewees criticized its dilapidated state and a nurse claimed that she had not seen a doctor at the hospital for the past six years. Nation Television (NTV) was the target of an angry verbal attack by President Yoweri Museveni after broadcasting its report about Dr. Besigye’s hospital visit, which led to an order by the health ministry and the electoral commission banning all visits to public health installations by presidential candidates.“Arrests and intimidation attempts of this kind are completely unacceptable in a country that claims to be democratic,” said Reporters Without Borders. “What happened to the BBC crew is just one example among dozens of cases of threats and intimidation of Ugandan journalists, which have increased since the start of the election campaign. We urge the authorities to end this campaign of media control and intimidation so that the entire Ugandan people can have transparent and peaceful elections.”Arrests and intimidation of this kind were already common, but they have intensified since the election campaign got under way in November 2015. According to Robert Sempala of the Human Rights Network for Journalists, more than 40 journalists have been arrested, beaten, prevented from working or deprived of their equipment by police since October. Human Rights Watch has published a report in 2016 detailing the violations endured by journalists, leading to a “chilling effect” for all media in the country, according to the human rights organisation. Uganda is ranked 97th out of 180 countries in the 2015 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index.center_img to go further Uganda urged to free two journalist held since last week on libel charges February 9, 2016 – Updated on March 8, 2016 Ugandan authorities gag media in run-up to presidential election June 4, 2021 Find out more Organisation News News Reporters Without Borders (RSF) condemns the government’s intimidation of the media in the run-up to the 18 February presidential election. What with threats, arrests, media closures and seizure of equipment, covering the election is becoming almost impossible for news media that do not kowtow to the ruling party. Uganda blocks social media and messaging apps, isolating election March 12, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more


More than 100,000 meals delivered to critical frontline workers through Feed…

first_imgInstitute of Public Health addresses loneliness as a challenge to national health in light of Covid-19 restrictions Covid antibody testing opens to public at Shannon Airport Advertisement Mass COVID testing to take place at University of Limerick following fresh outbreak of virus among student population Email Twitter WhatsApp Linkedin NewsCommunityMore than 100,000 meals delivered to critical frontline workers through Feed The HeroesBy Cian Reinhardt – April 29, 2020 119 Printcenter_img TAGSCommunityCoronavirusCovid 19healthIrelandLimerick City and CountyNationalNews Limerick health chiefs urge public not to withhold information on virus contacts, as they investigate “complex and serious outbreaks” across midwest region FEED The Heroes has delivered more than 102,000 meals to critical frontline workers since being set up six weeks ago.Meals have been delivered to 101 sites across the nation including hospitals, test centres, contact tracing centres, laboratories and emergency response teams.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Feed The Heroes has raised over€1,066,290, with over 18,100 individuals donating to the fund.Among those receiving meals from Feed The Heroes are the crews of the National Ambulance Service (NAS). Anyone who has been tested for Covid-19 will have seen the large operation the National Ambulance Service are providing across the country.The NAS now spend longer time on our roads, and spend more time per call due to infection control while working under high pressure and risk.Since starting six weeks ago, the initiative has provided more than 10,00 meals to NAS teams, from control rooms in Donegal and Dublin to field operations across the country.Richard Quinlan, National Ambulance Service said the service is “much appreciated each and every day”.“NAS staff, Military staff and HSE staff out on sites getting hot food is important for wellbeing and service support. Again, thank you all so much,” Mr Quinlan said.Speaking today, Feed The Heroes founder, Cian O’Flaherty said, “To date, we have spent over €600,000 of the fund, delivering over 100,000 meals. We would like to thank everyone who has donated, what started as an idea a few weeks ago is now a nationwide operation.“This operation would not have been possible without the public’s generosity. We want to be here as long as is necessary, every donation will allow us to keep providing this service to the critical frontline workers for a day longer in this emergency.”Individuals and companies who wish to make a donation can contribute on the Feed The Heroes websitewww.feedtheheroes.com. Government announces phased easing of public health restrictions RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Facebook Previous articleAnn & Steve Talk Stuff | Episode 11 | A chance to reset?Next articleLimerick Clubs well represented as Division 1 AIL Scoring Charts released Cian Reinhardthttp://www.limerickpost.ieJournalist & Digital Media Coordinator. Covering human interest and social issues as well as creating digital content to accompany news stories. [email protected] Limerick Post Show | Careers & Health Sciences Event for TY Students last_img read more


Stallions Lose Heartbreaker To Commanders

first_img Tags: Alliance of American Football/Salt Lake Stallions/San Antonio Commanders Woodrum passed for 229 yards, one touchdown and one interception in defeat.  Salt Lake fell to 2-and-5 and returns home to host the San Diego Fleet on Saturday. Robert Lovell FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmail (San Antonio, TX)  —  Salt Lake quarterback Josh Woodrum threw an interception on the potential game-tying two-point conversion in the fourth quarter as the Stallions fell to the Commanders 19-15 on Saturday in San Antonio.  Written by March 24, 2019 /Sports News – Local Stallions Lose Heartbreaker To Commanderslast_img read more