RSF relieved by announced release of 41 journalists

first_img YemenMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abuses Houthis holding 41 journalists hostage inside Yemeni TV station News Organisation News Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is relieved by the reported release of the 41 journalists and employees of the Al Yemen Al Youm TV channel who had been held by Houthi rebels in Sanaa since 2 December. RSF_en They were freed yesterday evening in still unclear circumstances. According to the Houthi-controlled Yemeni news agency, Supreme Political Council president Saleh Al Sammad issued the release order in consultation with the Houthi rebel government’s information minister. “We are relieved to learn that this TV channel’s journalists and staff are now free but we continue to be concerned about the pressure to which they have been subjected and will no doubt continue to be subjected,” said Alexandra El Khazen, the head of RSF’s Middle East desk. “We remind everyone that journalists must not be targeted in his conflict, and we ask the Houthi rebels to also free the 11 other journalists they are holding in their prisons.” According to RSF’s information, the Houthis freed Al Yemen Al Youm’s journalists and allowed the TV channel to resume broadcasting in Sanaa on condition that the Houthis receive favourable coverage. At least 12 journalists and media workers are currently held hostage in Yemen by armed groups, including the Houthis and Al-Qaeda. Yemen is ranked 166th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2017 World Press Freedom Index. YemenMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abuses to go further December 7, 2017 Find out more Follow the news on Yemen Help by sharing this information December 14, 2017 – Updated on December 15, 2017 RSF relieved by announced release of 41 journalists Receive email alertslast_img read more


Pats’ young WRs say they’re ready to contribute in Year 2

first_img Associated Press Television News Written By FOLLOW US First Published: 21st August, 2020 08:12 IST WATCH US LIVE One of the things Rob Gronkowski’s absence in the Patriots’ offense last season highlighted was the inexperience in their receiving group.A looming presence at 6-foot-6, Gronk was a threat to make big plays whenever he was on the field and he in turn opened throwing lanes for his teammates.But without him the offense suffered as Tom Brady struggled to build chemistry with rookie receivers N’Keal Harry, Gunner Olszewski and Jakobi Meyers.Brady’s departure, a disjointed offseason and truncated training camp have created more issues for New England’s offense in 2020. But those are challenges the trio feels more equipped to tackle in Year 2.“I think I learned just like everybody else did last year,” said Olszewski, who converted to receiver as a rookie after playing cornerback in college. “We’re all new receivers in the NFL. And this is our second year as NFL receivers. I don’t consider myself more behind or ahead of anybody. I’ve been a receiver since I’ve been here, and that’s the position I play.”As Brady worked to cultivate trust with the new faces on offense last season, veteran Julian Edelman did his best to pick up the slack, leading the Patriots with 100 catches for 1,117 yards and six touchdowns.But the remaining seven receivers on the roster combined for only 117 catches and 10 touchdowns. Harry, the Patriots’ first-round pick in 2019, had two of those TDs but played just seven games before going on injured reserve for the remainder of the season.While it wasn’t the rookie season he expected, Harry said he’s taken a lot of lessons from it.“I learned that in the NFL, you have to prove yourself day in and day out,” he said. “This is a league where nothing is given to you. You earn everything day by day. That’s my approach coming into this season and that’s my approach stepping on to the field every day.”One of the things Harry focused on during the time off was his footwork, enlisting the help of trainer Rischad Whitfield , known as “The Footwork King” while working out this summer in Houston. According to Next Gen Stats, Harry ranked last among Patriots receivers with an average of 2.2 separation yards.Receiver Mohamed Sanu said he’s already noticed improvement from Harry.“I know he works at it every day. He’s trying to get better at the little details. Asks great questions. As a second-year player, that’s what you want to do,” Sanu said. “I know we want to get better and better at all the little, minor details — the intricacies in the offense. It’s great. All of the receivers — not just N’Keal — are working toward the same goal: trying to be consistent every day, snap after snap, play after play, meeting, walkthrough. I love it.”Even with the pandemic impacting the offseason program, Meyers said he, Harry and Olzewski all stayed in touch and were the first to raise their hands when quarterbacks Jarrett Stidham and Brian Hoyer reached out to organize some informal throwing sessions. They did the same with Cam Newton after he signed.Meyers said he feels as if the bonds they began building last season and during those workouts this summer will benefit them going forward.“I feel like we’re getting more comfortable with understanding what we have to bring to the team,” Meyers said. “This is a business. I feel like the more we’re around each other, the more we get comfortable with each other. We’ve got to understand this is a business and one day we could be here and one day we couldn’t be.”Image credits: AP center_img Last Updated: 21st August, 2020 08:12 IST Pats’ Young WRs Say They’re Ready To Contribute In Year 2 One of the things Rob Gronkowski’s absence in the Patriots’ offense last season highlighted was the inexperience in their receiving group SUBSCRIBE TO US LIVE TV COMMENTlast_img read more


Mane would ‘understand’ if Liverpool were denied Premier League title

first_img“It has been difficult for Liverpool, but it has been more difficult for many millions of people around the world.“Some people have lost family members and that is the more complicated situation. But for myself, it’s my dream and I want to win it this year.“If that’s not the case, I will accept, it’s part of life. Hopefully we will win it next year.”UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said this week there was “no way” Liverpool should finish the season without the title, even if the campaign is cancelled. London, United Kingdom | AFP | Sadio Mane says he would understand if Liverpool were denied the Premier League title even though they were on the brink of glory when coronavirus forced a shutdown.Jurgen Klopp’s men were 25 points clear of Manchester City when football came to a halt last month, agonisingly close to their first top-flight triumph in 30 years.But it is unclear when, or even if, the season will be completed.Asked if he feels like a champion, the 27-year-old Senegal forward told Talksport that he wanted to win the Premier League on the pitch.“I want to win the games and I want to get the trophy, it’s what I would love,” he said. “But with this situation, whatever happens I will understand. Sadio Manecenter_img Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more


Srinivas Gowda’s 100m record has been broken just a few day on by another…

first_imgImage Courtesy: ABP/EPSAdvertisement 2qrNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs46fq4Wingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Ebk3a( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) ljWould you ever consider trying this?😱1zi5Can your students do this? 🌚ns9rRoller skating! Powered by Firework Last week, a buffalo racer from Karnataka became an overnight sensation on the sports fandom of the country, for breaking the iconic sprinter Usain bolt’s 100m record. The news broke out all over the internet, and the racer named Srinivas Gowda came under the radar of Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju. However, there is a new contender now. Another buffalo racer named Nishant Shetty has leaped beyond Gowda’s clocked time, setting a new world record for covering 100 metres in just 9.51 seconds!Advertisement Image Courtesy: ABP/EPSThe legendary Usain Bolt, who set the 100 metres world record of 9.58 seconds back in 2009. After staying unbroken for eleven years, the Jamaican spriner’s record fell short as Srinivas Gowda clocked the same distance in 9.55 seconds, covering a total distance of 142.50 metres in 13.62 seconds.While speculations were going on Gowda being the next big name in the world of sprinting- Nishant Shetty achieved the same fate while being 0.04 seconds quicker, a new twist in the event.Advertisement Hailing from Bajagoli Jogibettu, Shetty took part in the ‘at Soorya-Chandra Jodukare Kambala (buffalo racing) event at Venoor, Karnataka this Sunday. Riding two buffaloes named Bolle and Kaje, woned by Erimaru Gopalakrishna Bhat, Shetty covered a distance of 143 metres in 13.68 seconds.Speaking to reporters, Shetty revealed that his performance at the Kambala (Buffalo racing) at Venoor is his career best.While Kiren Rijiju had already requested the Sports Authority of India to conduct a trial for Gowda, the racer declined the offer on meeting the Karnataka CM BS Yediyurappa.“I never thought will run this fast. The main role was played by the buffaloes and the owner. He looked after them well. The buffaloes can run even faster,” Gowda said following his refusal for the trial.“In Kambala race, heels play an important role whereas it is toes in a track race. Not just jockeys, but even Buffaloes have a role to play in Kambala. In track race, this is not the case” he added.However, there hasn’t been any input from Kiren Rijiju or the SAI on Nishant Shetty yet. The new fastest man of India has reaching stardom just as Gowda did last week, but it is still unknown if he will signal positive for a sprint trial, or follow Gowda’s decision.Also read-Did this buffalo racer from Karnataka just beat Usain Bolt’s world record for a 100m sprint?See the message Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju has for bullock race runner who beat Usain Bolt’s world record speed Advertisementlast_img read more


Preferably hands off

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe top 10 theme park moments of 2019 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Re: “That’s commitment” (Editorial, Oct. 4): Your editorial expresses concern over the Los Angeles City Council’s approval of subsidizing ($270 million) the proposed 56-story convention center hotel to hopefully cure the convention center’s annual $31 million drain. The city’s history shows too many government mistakes. The convention center, the Hollywood & Highland drain, North Hollywood’s decades-old economic languishment (rescued by the subway terminal), several other lethargic Community Redevelopment Agency project areas, and the imprudent rental housing policies are proof. In spite of that, the Daily News wants the city to have “comprehensive visions” for North Hollywood, the Northeast Valley and other parts of the city. With that kind of record, the best vision would be hands off by the government. Victor N. Viereck Valley Village Let’s not forget Re: “Five Americans are killed in fighting to retake towns” (Oct. 5): I noticed that you chose to put the deaths of five brave soldiers on Page 11. As the parent of a soldier fighting in Iraq, I am disappointed that you think county leases are more important. Let’s not forget these young men and women fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. Unless you are a parent, 2,000 deaths and several wounded are only numbers until you put names to them. Every time you hear “Twenty-one guns,” you know they are bringing home a hero. Jerry Pennington Van Nuys It’s fantastic The schools are still failing our children, the hospitals are still closing or cutting back services, public employees are up in arms, the new special interests have replaced the old special interests, we are spending millions of dollars to hold a referendum election that few really understand or care about, but, thank goodness, the beautiful people are now protected from the paparazzi. In the words of Arnold, “it’s fantastic.” Marshall Barth Encino Why no outcry? Re: “Two men arrested in brutal attacks” (Briefly, Oct. 5): Sen. Diane Feinstein missed another press conference opportunity to demand the abolishment of assault weapons. Usually when an assault weapon is used to commit mass murders the story is on the front page and Sen. Feinstein shouts from the highest mountaintop, “we must abolish assault rifles.” Wednesday, however, the story of the mass murders of six men only made Page 10 and contained no demand from Feinstein to banish the assault weapon used in the crimes, an assault baseball bat. Why Page 10, why no outcry to banish assault baseball bats? Dean Brassfield Toluca Woods Gallant individuals I have lived in Southern California in fire-prone areas for nearly six decades. In 1975, firefighters saved our house from a Porter Ranch fire, and this week they saved my daughter and her family, including our 1-week-old granddaughter, from losing their Calabasas home in Las Virgenes Canyon. What can one say of these noble men and women, dressed in heavy protective clothing and equipment in 100-plus degree temperatures, speeding in their machines into harm’s way to protect lives and cherished property. It brings tears to your eyes to watch these gallant individuals go into action. Words of gratitude are inadequate. One can merely say, thank you and God bless them all. Richard Davis Lake Sherwood Wealthy unions Re: “Spending turns public off reform” (Viewpoint, Oct. 2): It appears Jill Stewart believes that voters today are deciding vital issues by watching force-fed-every-20-minutes lying political TV ads paid for with many millions of dollars by wealthy unions wanting to keep their wealth and to hell with California. I pray she is wrong and that the citizens of California will study these issues carefully and see that they are the only way our state can survive now and thrive in the future. The well-being of California and all of its citizens should be foremost in all voters minds, not the lying garbage that special interests are blasting at us day and night, not the popularity or lack of it of our governor. Millie Derose San Fernandolast_img read more