Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A 74-year-old man was shot dead and a 72-year-old woman was critically wounded by two gunshots in Westbury on Saturday night, Nassau County police said.Third Precinct police officers found the victims upon responding to a call reporting a person shot at a Waterbury Lane home at 9:40 p.m., police said.The female victim was taken to a local hospital for treatment of her injuries and is listed in critical condition. The man was pronounced dead at the scene. Their identities were not immediately released.Homicide Squad detectives are continuing the investigation.
This is the notebook of CNBC senior markets commentator Michael Santoli for Wednesday, Nov. 4.- Advertisement –
Indonesia’s economy suffered its sharpest downturn since the 1998 Asian financial crisis in the second quarter, as the COVID-19 pandemic shut down large parts of the country, ravaging businesses and leaving millions out of work.GDP contracted 5.32 percent in the second quarter, the lowest since the first quarter of 1999, Statistics Indonesia (BPS) announced Wednesday. The figure is deeper than the government’s estimate of 4.3 percent contraction and economists’ consensus of 4.6 percent contraction according to a Reuters survey.“The coronavirus pandemic has had a very negative effect on health care, social and economic conditions, as it delivered a crushing blow for households and businesses,” BPS head Suhariyanto told reporters during a press briefing on Wednesday. The GDP report reflected the impact of widespread disruptions to the economy as the government ordered the imposition of large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) to contain the virus spread, forcing businesses and factories to shut down and consumers to stay home for much of April and May. The measures to contain the virus have hit most components of economic activity.As many as 3.7 million individuals have lost their jobs this year, according to data from the National Development Planning Agency (Bappenas). The total number of unemployed people will hit around 10 million by the end of the year.The government’s decision to lift containment measures in early June has stirred economic activity back to life gradually – just not to the levels seen before the pandemic, Suhariyanto said.Household spending, which makes up more than 50 percent of GDP, fell 5.51 percent – far lower than the 5.18 percent growth booked in the same period last year – led by a near-total collapse in spending on restaurant meals, recreational services and transportation, among others. Health care and educational spending, however, grew 2.02 percent. Investment, meanwhile, fell 8.61 percent, a far cry from 4.55 percent growth recorded over the same period last year, as businesses pulled back sharply on their investment in vehicles and other products.Exports and imports also plunged 11.66 percent and 16.96 percent, respectively, reflecting the slowdown in global economic activity as the pandemic hit. The export of non-oil and gas, as well as foreign tourist arrivals fell sharply in the second quarter.Meanwhile, government expenditure fell 6.9 percent in the second quarter, lower than the 8.23 percent growth recorded in the same period last year, as it cut spending on business trips and canceled events.“The main factor for the economic contraction was declining household spending and investment in the second quarter,” Suhariyanto went on to say. “Going forward, we should try to improve spending and investment to post positive growth in the third quarter.”The government has allocated Rp 695.2 trillion (US$47.5 billion) to stimulate the economy and strengthen the country’s pandemic response, but slow disbursement due to red tape and the rise in COVID-19 cases could constrain economic recovery.The government expects full-year growth of 1 percent at best, or full-year contraction of 0.4 percent at worst this year, depending on the severity of damage and how long the country takes to recover.Topics :
“You look at what they did not give Toure and what they did with Craig and you are not happy with it, you are very disappointed and as I said I think his reputation has gone before him.” Solskjaer’s frustrations were added to by his side’s failure to turn first-half domination into goals against Villa. The Bluebirds hit the woodwork through Fraizer Campbell and a deflected Craig Noone strike, and they were ultimately indebted to two superb saves by David Marshall – from Fabien Delph and Andreas Weimann respectively – to preserve a point. The result does little for the Welsh club’s survival prospects and they remain 19th, effectively three points from safety due to their poor goal difference. Solskjaer said: “We didn’t take our chances, did we? “The performance was fantastic and we created big opportunities. Brad Guzan made a good save from Fraizer, we hit the crossbar. “There are no complaints but when you are in the situation we are in it is one of those games where you want to be one or two up at least.” Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert was content with a point which moved his side five clear of the drop zone, which is valuable breathing space in a tightly-packed bottom half. But the Scot felt his side should have taken more from the game given the chances missed by Delph, Weimann, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Leandro Bacuna and Christian Benteke during the final 30 minutes. “I am frustrated. I thought in the second half we had enough chances to win it and Marshall, who I knew up at Celtic, has kept them in it, he has made two world class saves,” he said. “I thought Leo should have scored, I thought Gaby should have scored and I thought Christian should have had a shot instead of trying to pass it. “But Cardiff have beaten some really good teams here. Ole has a good side after taking over from Malky and it is a hard place to come, although I still think we should have won the game.” Cardiff manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer thinks Craig Bellamy’s reputation earned him a three-match ban for violent conduct and not the incident itself. The veteran forward missed Tuesday’s goalless draw with Aston Villa after club and player “reluctantly” opted not to contest the FA charge for striking Swansea midfielder Jonathan de Guzman with his arm during Saturday’s south Wales derby. Bellamy will also miss the FA Cup clash with holders Wigan and the crucial Premier League meeting with Hull. The incident was missed by referee Andre Marriner and his team of officials at the time, but it was reviewed by a three-man panel of former elite referees who unanimously agreed it constituted violent conduct. Meanwhile, Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure escaped punishment after kicking Norwich striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel at Carrow Road. Solskjaer believes former Wales’ forward Bellamy’s reputation has seen him unfairly punished. “Everyone can see there is a big difference in the decisions (on Bellamy and Toure) one has got three games and one has got away from it,” said the Norwegian. “I don’t want to talk about it too much but I think Craig’s reputation has gone before him. “But when you see him in training, even in games he is such a top professional. “It is a little collision, there is no violence in it, but we just have to accept it, we don’t want it dragging on. Craig just wants to stay fit and be ready for the Spurs game. “We did not feel it was the right decision, I’m sure the referee saw it. Press Association
Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on September 21, 2010 at 12:00 pm Ange Bradley wants to make sure her team has a physical edge. The edge is ingrained on Tuesday. When in her court, she determines a queen. The coach has spent her fair amount of time this season working on schemes and positioning, but realized a fault in her coaching after a loss to unranked Kent State. ‘I think I got a little too soft in working more systems with so many returning players,’ Bradley said. ‘The mental toughness piece is the piece that we’re still working on finishing. That comes from tough, demanding Tuesday practices.’ With Tuesday comes a familiar solution to the fault: her court.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text The practice Bradley is referring to is the weekly tradition that has become known as Queen’s Court. The practice style, which Bradley instilled since accepting the head coaching position three years ago, has become a trademark for the SU players and something to expect after a lackluster performance. The practice focuses on the physical aspects of the game and pairs players up in limited man situations, highlighted by one-on-one matches — like a game of one-on-one basketball. Junior forward Heather Susek playfully recalled memories of the practice before Wednesday’s practice, but knows of the emotions that surface when Queen’s Court commences. ‘Everyone gets a little frustrated,’ Susek said with a laugh. ‘Sometimes there is yelling at each other, but at the end of practice, we all come together.’ The practices — which Susek said are the hardest of the week — are usually on Tuesdays and are tools Bradley can use to make sure her team doesn’t get too complacent. The practice starts by ranking the players, one through 24, with one being the most talented player in the eyes of the coaching staff. Then the players are matched up based on their rank. The one seed matches up against the 24th seed, and so on and so forth. In the end, the queen is crowned: the best player every Tuesday. The two players compete for 30 seconds, with the winner moving up and the loser moving down. The Queen’s Court is the field where the No. 1 player starts, and the cellar is where the worst player plays. ‘It’s basically a mini-tournament,’ Bradley said, ‘Like what you would have at the NCAA championship or the basketball championship.’ After playing a couple rounds, the queen is determined by the winner in the top court. Then another court begins immediately. The players team up with the top players in their court and play a couple rounds of two-on-two. The process is then repeated, with the top eight seeded players being split into two teams of four for the final match. Susek said the intense practices lead to quite a number of heated exchanges and are the closest practice gets to a game-like situation. Said Susek: ‘It really got us to compete against each other and know exactly what it means to bring that to the games.’ Bradley said the team has done the practice many times this year. One of the reasons for the increased intense practices figures to be because of the Orange’s early-season loss to unranked Kent State. The 2-1 overtime lose was the first time SU lost to an unranked opponent since Oct. 25, 2007, when Cornell beat Syracuse, 3-2. Sophomore back Iona Holloway said the team uses the practice as a tool to keep the players levelheaded. Even if it routinely is one of the most hectic field hockey sessions, week in and week out, across the nation. ‘This year I think what we are working on is not expecting anything,’ Holloway said. ‘When we lost to Kent State this year, that was absolutely not what was expected to happen. Perhaps we were expecting to just win.’ After watching her team lose to fourth-ranked Princeton over the weekend for the team’s third loss of the year, Bradley figures she will use the practice even more this season. Two of SU’s losses were to opponents ranked higher then them, but the Queen’s Court sessions will still be used to keep the players on an edge. For as long as the team’s true queen, Bradley, wants for it to last. ‘It’s just competition and going at each other every day in practice,’ Bradley said. ‘We use it on Tuesdays — when we are furthest away from games — to create that competitive spirit and mental toughness of going after each other and competing.’ [email protected] Comments